T/C Mag Express Sabots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhnut1973

Reaction score
Right now I am shooting 250gr Shockwaves in my Omega with 100gr of T7 pellets with 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. I have some Mag Express Sabots with the .44cal XTP bullet that I would like to try. I am just wondering about which bullet has the best on game performance for deer. My shots are usually 40 yards or so up to the max of 100 yards. I have not shot the mag express in the omega yet but hope to soon. Also I have seen people talk about .44cal xtp and .45cal xtp. Are there any advantages of one over the other? Thanks.

The .44 caliber XTP's are just a little longer then the .45 XTP's of similar weight. Because of course the smaller diameter. Besides standard XTP's there are XTP mags. These are said to be harder then the standard XTP and work better on bone, but do not expand as well.

I have not shot an animal with an XTP. I have shot hundreds of them. My favorite are the .44 caliber .430 diameter (green sabot) 300 grain (standard) XTP that I purchase in bulk. Most all my rifels shoot them well, and I am sure they would make an excellent deer bullet. I also have good luck with the .45 caliber .452 diameter 250 grain XTP. These shoot well out of most inlines I own also.

All you can do is try some different ones, but in your Omega I will GUESS that 100-110 grains of powder, a .44 caliber 300 grain XTP in a green Crushed Rib Harvester sabot will shoot real well if you swab between shots.

Some other good bullets very similar to the XTP are the Speer Gold Dot hollow point bullets. Many people like them even better then the Hornady.

I have taken about 10 animals with XTP'S mostly deer, some boar. They are a good bullet I used the 230 and the 250, the 230 shoots very well out of my 1-38 twist System One and the 250 shoots well in my Omega, I switched to the Gold Dot 250 about two year ago,as I believe a bonded bullet will give the best results in some circumstances and just as good other wise; but there is nothing wrong with the XTP they were my goto bullet for quite a few years. Lee

cayuga and Lee9 thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure that the pistol bullets would work at muzzleloader velocities. I just like to play around with stuff and try different combos to see what works from time to time. Besides, the mags are cheap as are the Harvesters which they sell locally and I have been wanting to try. They also sell Harvester Sabertooths, they look similar to Powerbelts. Do these perform like PB's? I had a bad experience with a 295 gr Powerbelt hollowpoint so I no longer use them. Anyway, thanks again and good huntin.

I use the Sabor tooth in certain states, the PB's are ok in a very narrow band of velocity, the Sabortooth has a lot broader band of velocity.
I am speaking of terminal preformance as both have shot accuratly for me over a wide range of velocities. Since they came out with the FPB which is made of harder lead and designed for higher speed impact and better balistics and will shoot minute of angle in my guns at 1800fps I will be trying them. Lee

I have been trying the SST bullets but have yet to get them to shoot as accurate as the xtp's in my Encore . So i am back to using the XTP and i will save the SST for my son to try in his Omega when he returns . We use the .45 for deer and the .45 mag for Elk .

This Elk was taken with one shot behind the should at 147 yards . The exit hole was about the size if a quarter .

jared.jpg

This VERY small Mule deer was shot through the front of the neck hitting the spine and the exit hole was also about the size of a quarter . At 70 yards

firstmuzzleloaderdeer.jpg

This small bull was taken with a .44 Xtp mag at 90 yards , also a neck/spine shot . Same size exit hole as the other two animals .

DSCN0005.jpg

Back