TC Cheapshots and Traditions Plinkers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought some of these this year. Correct me if I am wrong but I think these are the same bullet with different sabots.

Any reason I shouldn't use these for hunting deer at ranges 100 yrds or less?

The cheapshots seem to load and shoot really well once I swap the sabots for a 3-petal ez.
The plinkers already come with the 3-petal ez so that's a bonus.

Some older posts suggest they're a decent cheap option to hunt with.

Always ready to hear your thoughts.

What do they cost?

You can buy good bullets for under $15/50 and a pack of Harvester sabots is under $10 anywhere.

What do they cost?

The plinkers were $9 for 20 bullets with the sabots that I would use anyway. So comparable to other bullets and sabots that can be bought in bulk.

I have bought other bullets and sabots in bulk before with decent results. Just always interested in different bullets to try without spending a lot of money.

Not trying to be cheap, I just don't have a lot of money to spend on hobbies. Family comes 1st.

I really enjoy shooting my muzzleloader but also use it to fill the freezer.

My optima pistol loves the t/c cheap shots. Accurate and hits hard and the price can't be beat.

I think that is the point im making though. The price is easily matched with better bullets. Speer 451 260gr UCHP are $11.69/50 at Grafs and a pack of sabots are under $7/50. Several other online sources have similar pricing on those items. Not knocking the cheapshots but they are not all that cheap at $9/20

Cheap shot with sabot= 45 cents each
Speer 260gr (12.50)with Harvester CR sabot (6.99)= 43 cents each

Grafs was out of the Speer atm so i used the next best price at MidwayUSA.

I do have some speer .451 260gr jhp but for whatever reason they don't seem to group as well as the cheapshots.
Also have some speer .429 270gr deep curl that grouped really good when I first shot them but, the last time I shot them it was like I had never shot a gun before.
I just thought if the cheapshots shot well and performed well I may start using them because Walmart will have them discounted at the end of the season. Just a thought.

GM54-120
I do understand what you were saying about the other bullets. If the bullets mentioned above were more consistent I would gladly use them. But my deer season is coming quick and I had the cheapshots to try. And as of now they seem to be the most consistent bullets I have shot in a while.

I started using Cheap Shots with 40 grains of 3f Triple 7. 1350 fps and of 8 deer taken with that load ( between me and Baby Girl) all but 2 were pass throughs.
I used that bullet with 70 grains 3f Triple 7 ( 1600 fps) in a couple different rifles and all deer shot were pass throughs.
Lots of gooey chests...
There are bulk bullets that are cheaper, this is true. But the Cheap Shot is still a fine bullet.

I bought a boatload of the Cheap Shots from Bass Pro several years ago. I only use them for getting rifles on paper. They are not as accurate as other bullets in any of my rifles and pistol. They are plenty accurate enough to take deer at 100ish yards and under.I can usually get two out of three three under an inch, then one is usually one to two inches away.

I've never hunted with them, but they would be a darn sight better than a roundball.

I agree with GM, you can buy other bullets for less money for what they want for the Cheap Shots at today's prices.

They are the 20 packs in the bag, and I only have 7-1/2 packs left. When you see the price on them, you'll see why I bought them.

Wait for it!

Remember, there is no crying in muzzleloading.

IMG_20191030_184632734~2.jpg

Back