TC Contender G2 pistol vs. Pro Hunter Encore pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triumphant

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new 44 magnum single shot pistol for hunting. I am looking at both the TC Pro Hunter Encore pistol and the TC G2 Contender pistol. Can anyone explain the differences between the two? Anybody have an opinion on which is better and why. thanks

I just recently got out of an Encore pistol and got into a Contender so that is my background.

The Encore is built much stronger than the 'Tender and can handle most any cartridge you care to use. As such the frame is about a pound heavier and bulkier. For the big bangers you will appreciate the extra weight. The Tender actually seems 'dainty' in comparison and I found the ergonomics are better, it feels like pistol. My Encore was a 7-08 with a 15" barrel - amazing accuracy and pleasant to shoot BUT with a scope it's close to 6lbs and was not easy to carry. I would rather carry a carbine.

The Contender i currently have is a .35 Remington with a 14" barrel. Feels more like a pistol but still pretty large. It shoots 1/2" at 100yds with Leverlution (heavily sandbagged) so it the same as the Encore in the accuracy dept. Mine has a factory muzzlebrake which makes it sweet to shoot with the 200 grain full loads.

My next plan is to go to a 10" barrel either in .30 Herrit or 30-30 to get even closer to a pistol... :lol:

The .44 is available in both platforms. I fired one quite a bit in the Contender 14" and recoil was all there with heavy factory loads but not intolerable. The short barrel .44 mags (10") have a reputation as big kickers. Muzzlebrakes are great but firing just once without hearing protection will definitely leave a mark. If I had to use a pistol cartridge for deer my choice would not be the .44, I'd look at .357 max or .41.

Back