TC Maxi Hunters and BlackHorn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL Shooter

Reaction score
Has anyone used this combo in a modern inline and is it safe

I looked on BlackHorn's website and couldn't find anything about using tc maxi hunters

Safe, yes if charges are kept low enough. Shoot them too fast and you will have plenty of lead to scrub out of you barrel.

Safe, yes if charges are kept low enough. Shoot them too fast and you will have plenty of lead to scrub out of you barrel.

I have made the mistake of pushing them to hard. Getting all the lead out was a real chore.

I used them in a Buckstalker rifle some years back but with black powder. I'm pretty sure that I used 90 grains of 2f, 100 would have been my max.
Don't see why you can't push them out with BH209.

Thankyou for the replies
I'm not sure if I want to mess with the leading issues I think I'm just gonna start looking for another type of conancl or a quality sabeted bullet other than the hornady sst

Thankyou for the replies
I'm not sure if I want to mess with the leading issues I think I'm just gonna start looking for another type of conancl or a quality sabeted bullet other than the hornady sst
A few suggestions. Barnes Tez-Tmz, Fury, Speer Deep Curl, Hawk 260 grain, Parker Ballistic Extreme. These guys are some of my favorites. Full Bore hammer em with a Thor.

Any lead conical can have leading issues. Shooting them as designed (slow) and with a wad to protect the base works fine. Think about it. The old 45/70 load is a 405gr bullet around 1300fps. Bet that load killed a train load of deer in the last 100+ years. Not a fan of the Maxis really. There are better conical designs that cost less. Big soft lead between 1200-1450fps will kill virtually anything in NA and do it very well.

My sister shoots the maxi Hunter with BH in her 50cal. She shoots the 350gr MH with 70gr of BH and a felt was and has no prob with leading at all . And it is a killer also.

That is all the powder i shoot in my 45cal for deer too. 70gr BH209 by volume and a 350gr conical. That load is around 1400fps in a 45cal and will be a little less in a 50cal. Very cheap to shoot and plenty of power unless you need more distance. For longer range you are better off with a heavier bullet at near the same velocity. Not more speed.

Latest posts

Back