TC PRO Hunter Loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I'm out of my comfort zone for this ML. My son has a 50 cal TC Pro Hunter and hasn't shot it in a few years. Even when he did, he didn't shoot it that much to see what it can really do. I know he shot it with BH209 powder and Federal Primers and I think he shot Hornady 300gr XTP bullets. Not sure if they were the Magnum or Regular version? In any case, he could never get consistent groups like he could with my White's shooting conical bullets.
So I thought I would surprise him and work on it on my own this spring to see what I could do with it. Any load/bullet/sabot combination information would be greatly appreciated. Also, I've heard others say they went to Bellem's web site and got replacement pins etc. Any recommendations there?

Thanks Ed

Last edited:
Easy..……. 75grs WEIGHT of BH209 and a Barnes 250gr TMZ unless its to tight, then a T-EZ. I always used CCI209M primers.

Yes, making sure the hinge is tight in both the barrel and frame is a must. Then all the other little things that can make them shine. HD firing pin spring, 50# hammer spring, HD locking lug spring, then do the trigger to your specifications. Turns them into a completely different rifle at little cost.

Easy..……. 75grs WEIGHT of BH209 and a Barnes 250gr TMZ unless its to tight, then a T-EZ. I always used CCI209M primers.

Yes, making sure the hinge is tight in both the barrel and frame is a must. Then all the other little things that can make them shine. HD firing pin spring, 50# hammer spring, HD locking lug spring, then do the trigger to your specifications. Turns them into a completely different rifle at little cost.
Agree with this , spring kit and hinge pin , what a difference, my pet load in my pro hunter is 100 grains 777 250 shock wave, clover leaf at 100 yds. I use the super glide sabots, good luck sounds like fun

My buddys will shoot the 200 gr SST w/2 777 pellets into a inch or better at 100 yds. If I was you though would work up a load using the SST with BH209. Might try the FTX bullets also. I know he's killed a pile of deer with the SST.

Mine likes 115 grains of BH a short black Harvester sabot and a 250 grain Shock Wave for long range and a 250 grain Bloodline for hunting under 175 yds. It also shoots very well with a 200 grain 40 caliber and a Harvester 50/40 sabot and the same powder load.

Mine likes 105gr BH209 and 300gr SST in the 3 petal sabot, it also shoots the 250gr SSt in same sabot very well. That sabot in mine seems to be the key I've tried the others and it is a no go.

Me and my Prohunter both like the 250gr Hornady SST’s. I like them because they shoot and work great and their cheap. The red Hornady sabot also loads and works really good in the gun. I shoot 3 777 pellets (150grs) and it will shoot 3 shots under a inch at 100yds.

My gun has also had the full Bellim treatment. All the springs have been change in the frame and the locking lug spring on the barrel. The trigger is set right at 3lbs which is what I like in a hunting gun. The hinge pin should fit tight, you should have to tap it all the way in and all the way out. You shouldn’t have to drive it like a nail or nothing but but their shouldn’t be any loose spots either. The first Encore I had several years ago you could change the pin with your fingers without tapping at all. That’s not good.

I think the hinge pin, locking lug spring and trigger are the 3 most important things for accuracy. But if you do the whole Bellim kit work over trigger job and full spring change you can definitely tell you have a whole different gun.

One other thing I have noticed about my TC Prohunter and accuracy. My revolution Wood thumbhole stock set from Haus of Arms. Seems to shoot slightly tighter groups than my stock plastic TC thumbhole stocks do. It really almost takes one of my centerfire barrels to notice it but it does. I here people say the TC Prohunter won’t shoot with a Rem 700. I personally don’t buy that. I have always been a Rem 700 or Rem model 7 guy until the last 2-3yrs switching over to Browning xbolt. The first gun I ever bought with my own money at 16yrs old cutting grass was a Rem 700 BDL in 30/06 and I also have a 3yr old Browning Xbolt in 30/06. The Rem 700 30/06 has a timeney Trigger in it and has been my favorite rifle ever since I bought it. Both the Rem 700 and the Browning Xbolt shoot really good. But my TC Prohunter with the 28in S&W Prohunter 30/06 barrel will shoot better than both of them.

Here is a 3 shot group at 100yds with my 50cal TC Prohunter. With a Hornady 250gr SST with 3 777 pellets. Running 1 cleaning patch and 1 dry patch between every shot. The others 2 are loading 4th and 5th shot dirty without cleaning barrel.

Attachments

• B83B6BD3-AF23-4369-8912-D657B766BA15.jpeg
    B83B6BD3-AF23-4369-8912-D657B766BA15.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
About hinge pins...………

Although a hinge pin may tap in fairly hard all the way, it doesn't mean that everything is always correct with the hinge. To make it perfect, you have to check both the frame and the barrel separate with the pin. The pin may be tight in the frame which will feel tight tapping it all the way through, yet the pin can still be loose in the barrel. Or visa versa. It sometimes, not always, requires the reaming of either the frame or the barrel to make it perfect.
Over my past years of working with the Encore platforms that I've owned, and for other's rifles that I've helped modify, maybe 3 or possibly 4 required reaming the frame. If you have a properly fitting hinge, when you open the rifle the barrel will not just crash fall open. A good opening hinge should feel like the hinge of a high quality O/U shotgun hinge.
One should ALWAYS lubricate the hinge pin and frame before installing the pin. Some will use a thin coat of anti-seize, while others a good grease. I would also suggest that depending on how much use the rifle gets, the pin should be removed ever so often, cleaned and re-lubed before reinstall.

I have been fortunate to "find" two Encores barrels, one PH and one Endv., for silly money b/c the previous owners thought the gun "couldn't hit the broad side of the barn". What they did not do was to experiment with their loads and, instead, insisted upon using 3 pellets and a the attached whatever was in the packaged loads they were buying...idk which ones. If you can afford/find the BH 209, go for it, I hear it's awesome; regardless, IMO, skip the pellets and stick with a loose powder. Plan for a day of fun.
Bring a longer range rod, a bore brush, and lots of patches, etc, and leave the OE rod in the thimbles. What weight bullet do you want? Pick that - I don't have a shot beyond 75 yds, so I'm happy with the 200gn sst and the standard black sabots. Start at 95 or 100 grains of powder. You are not sighting in the rifle; you're shooting for groups. If you have a flier, shoot a 4th. Increase your powder by 5 grains for each group. Scrub the barrel, & wipe out the powder end of the plug, with a solvent or Balistol, between groups. You'll know when A) the group begins to expand, or B) when the recoil becomes more than what you want your son to experience. (I'm assuming he's youth) Take your time; bring something else to shoot or do while you let your barrel cool between groups.
Lot's of people swear by the Bellum accuracy jobs, others call it "snake oil"... If the gun locks up tight, skip to the range. If it's sloppy, you might try Bellums or EABrown's 1x pin; it will tap in with lube - IMO, rasping out the barrel or the frame holes is not something I'd try, but again, some swear by it. I have 2 Encore, and 3 contender frames, all with a BP barrel. I don't shoot competitively, except with buddies and family, and my TC's are all winners.
Lastly, a light coat of a lithium grease on the breach plug threads has never let me down.
Sure it takes time, but makin' smoke is fun and you do it once and you're set until you choose to change bullet weights or powder. Consistency is key! Change only one variable at a time. Enjoy!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’ll check to see if there is any movement either with the bbl or how easily it opens. It’s practically new as my son didn’t shoot it much. If I had to guess less than 50 times. Like I said I really have no experience in shooting Saboted bullets as I’ve always shot conicals out of my Whites. For where I hunt most shots are under 75 yards and slip fit conicals have always worked for me.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’ll check to see if there is any movement either with the bbl or how easily it opens. It’s practically new as my son didn’t shoot it much. If I had to guess less than 50 times. Like I said I really have no experience in shooting Saboted bullets as I’ve always shot conicals out of my Whites. For where I hunt most shots are under 75 yards and slip fit conicals have always worked for me.

I had one rifle that took a 2X right out of the box. If you get into doing the trigger spring and sear, I can help with the directions if you don't have them or can't find them online. Good luck.

Bellim sells a complete instruction book with pictures and all on how to change all the springs and the trigger job. There is also step by step videos on YouTube walking you thru it.

Does anyone know how I could obtain a new sear for the Pro-Hunter? I made my trigger too light and want to sell the gun. But I won't sell it with this hair trigger.

Does anyone know how I could obtain a new sear for the Pro-Hunter? I made my trigger too light and want to sell the gun. But I won't sell it with this hair trigger.
Did you alter the sear by honing it to much? Is there any push off? If the sear hasn't been honed to the point it needs replacement, replace the trigger spring with a heavier spring may do it.

Did you alter the sear by honing it to much? Is there any push off? If the sear hasn't been honed to the point it needs replacement, replace the trigger spring with a heavier spring may do it.

I've replaced the spring already.

As others have said a oversized hinge pin and a trigger job made mine a lot better. Mine shoots Barnes tmz 250 grain in the yellow Harvester sabots into one ragged hole. That’s with 120 by volume of blackhorn. Started with the max and didn’t have to change. Mine also shot the Barnes 245 spitfire with the supplied sabots great. But the tmz with the harvester sabots load so nice and they have never failed on game. The recovered bullets have all been opened picture perfect.

Back