TC Scout Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rap Scallion

USMC Vet 1959-70 NRA/NMLRA/TSRA/SASS
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have picked up a very nice TC Scout Carbine earlier this year, used it as a back up deer hunting gun this year in Texas. I had considerable problems with 82 yo eyes and fat fingers while reloading. Also noticed with 209 Blackhorn or Pyrodex and new and improved Rem caps that I had several mis fires, hang fires and terrible accuracy. I realize a lot of this problem may be ME, I know hard to admit, but the realization also occurred to me that perhaps some or all of my problems may be correctable. Eyeglasses and Optometrist may help improve the sight.....also I use 209 primers on another TC ML using 209 loose powder, so I know they work! I was reading back on the forum here , of the 209 remedies and saw the David Pedersolie modification kit and got a new breech plug from Track and modification kit from Cabelas. I see how they work and looks to me that it could be done with the right gun smith or machinist doing the metal work. My questions are has any one found that is doable and IF it will help reload and cure the hang fire and misfire problems. Also of course, how hard is it to find the person with the skills to do the metal work, I could have done 50 years ago??

Hello Rap. Welcome to the enablers club. I hear and feel your pain. Lets start your help with pictures of everything you have said so far. Once we see your pictures/ questions, then we can start you down the road to problem solving for you. There is a wide audience here with knowledgeable outcomes that will chime in after that. Good luck shorty.

Thanks for the reply Shorty.....I havn't gotten to the pictures yet. my main question was has anyone found this really works and who can I find to do the mechanics of the conversion for me. I picked up this conversion thread from Jem44357 while cruising the site, and thought I had found a way to compensate for recent problems with a new TC Scout Carbine! I have used a side hammer conversion on a TC Greyhawk I have with excellent results. I can use 209 loose powder and 209 primers and have good results with it. I am hoping I can do the same with the Scout I have now.

At least send pic of primers and breechplug to start. The pics tell the story. Especially several of breechplug. Do you have any way of measuring the flash hole? Pin gauges?

Thanks for the suggestions Shorty, I will keep those in mind. I used both a used/original plug that came with the rifle and a new one from TOW people. The caps were new "improved" Rem bought on line. They worked as advertised every time, however they became twisted and misshapen after ignition and hard to remove from the hammer pocket. My problem lies with the inability of the regular percussion caps to ignite the BH209 powder I prefer to use.

The only real reliable way to ignite BH209 is with a full strength 209 primer made for shotshell reloading. #11 caps, musket caps and the muzzleloader specific 209 primers simply are not going to be reliable enough to ignite the 209 powder

Thank You Sir! My experiences have given me the same thoughts also! After 60+ years of hunting and shooting, I wish to regress a bit and get back to something more fun and yet easy on the shoulder. I wish to try BP ML after years of shooting everything from a .17HMR to a 90MM Gun tank. But so far those dreams and ideas of doing it a bit more primitive, have become a nightmare of miss fires and hang fires from under powered incomplete ignitions, with the new TC Scout!. I have a side hammer Hawken with a 209 primer modification that works fine, and thats what I am trying to accomplish!

Back