TC Strike vs Traditions Pursuit G4 U-Light Nitride

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrkotz

Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation. I'm very new to muzzle loading, I own a TC PA pellet that I've used a few times in our dedicated flintlock season.

I'm trying to find an inline that's as no fuss as possible. I prefer relatively lightweight and 50 cal. I narrowed it down to the TC Strike (previously the LHR Redemption) and the Traditions Pursuit G4 UltraLight Nitride.

If it matters, I do plan to put a scope on it.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

No experience with those 2 but if me
CVA Optima for no hassle accurate muzzleloader, about best bang for the buck..
Or for plunger style get the Knight Wolverine on sale at Knight now for 299.99, very accurate and nice carrying gun.
For more money the Knight Disc Extreme on sale for 499.99
personal choice would be the Knights for me.

Things to consider

The Strike will need a long eye relief scope or a way to move a more typical eye relief scope further back. So you will be needing a scope with no less than 4" of relief to get it into a comfortable position. The selection of scopes with 5" is very limited. Moving a scope further back also makes things pretty tight near the plug and action release.

Lotta plastic on the G4. IIRC some of the action release parts and trigger guard are made from plastic. Reviews of Tradition's customer service have not been all that great.

The nitride is barrel only on both rifles and neither one is stainless.

Consider the CVA Optima V2 nitride instead. Its nitride and stainless. Its about $30 more than the G4 UL but it includes a scope mount. Its only about a half pound heavier. Available in either a standard stock or thumbhole which you can also buy separately. The only real negative for the Optima is you will need to buy another breach plug if you want to use Blackhorn209 powder.

ATM you can get a Accura MR for as low as $406 plus shipping or if you really like the longer barrel the PR version can be had for about $13 more. Both in nitride/stainless and both also have adjustable triggers.

The TC strike is a great rifle I have a regular nikon 3by9 40 on mine plenty of eye relief for me I wear glasses shoots great works great with blackhorn 209 right out the box others have their opinions.

Look how tight things are with typical medium height rings.
strike.jpg

Notice how far back this scope is and the turret is against the rear ring. Horrible way to mount a scope imo.
8907649_orig.jpg

The DNZ mount helps but you run into clearance of the bell with some scopes.
img-2708_1_orig.jpg

So its simple to see that if you want the easiest way to mount a scope on a Strike, you certainly want to do your homework on eye relief, scope dimensions and available mounts. Overall the options are somewhat limited when compared to other rifles.

I have no experience with the TC Strike but the scope mounting is an issue. I have no love at all for any of the Traditions rifles. As already noted, the construction quality is not as good as some others, IMO. I find them all to be very muzzle heavy and I don't like the geometry of the stock to the rifle. I cant explain it but they just don't feel right to me and seem to have an excessive amount of muzzle jump when fired. If you are set on a Traditions, I have a Vortek Strikerfire' with less than 100 rds fired, and a scope already on it, listed in the for sale section for less than the Pursuit G4 you are considering.

I agree the CVA Optima is the best value for the buck. It is light, has a great trigger and is a very accurate rifle that shoots almost any good bullet/sabot well. I also agree the CVA MR is worth taking a look at. It is the best balanced, best handling break action that I have ever shot and like the Optima will shoot almost anything extremely well. I used to own an Optima, an Accura V2 and an Accura MR. I sold the Optima and the Accura V2 and still have the MR and can't foresee ever getting rid of it.

Re: RE: Re: TC Strike vs Traditions Pursuit G4 U-Light Nitride

sabinajiles said:
I have no experience with the TC Strike but the scope mounting is an issue. I have no love at all for any of the Traditions rifles. As already noted, the construction quality is not as good as some others, IMO. I find them all to be very muzzle heavy and I don't like the geometry of the stock to the rifle. I cant explain it but they just don't feel right to me and seem to have an excessive amount of muzzle jump when fired. If you are set on a Traditions, I have a Vortek Strikerfire' with less than 100 rds fired, and a scope already on it, listed in the for sale section for less than the Pursuit G4 you are considering.

I agree the CVA Optima is the best value for the buck. It is light, has a great trigger and is a very accurate rifle that shoots almost any good bullet/sabot well. I also agree the CVA MR is worth taking a look at. It is the best balanced, best handling break action that I have ever shot and like the Optima will shoot almost anything extremely well. I used to own an Optima, an Accura V2 and an Accura MR. I sold the Optima and the Accura V2 and still have the MR and can't foresee ever getting rid of it.

X2. I am a huge fan of the Accura MR. All the Accuras actually.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

wow. What a fantastic welcome to the forum. Thanks for all the input. I have always had a soft spot for the LHR Redemption, but all the love for CVA has me swaying that direction.

Currently looking between the Optima V2 .50 Nitride and the Accura MR. Weights are very similar, price difference is $80

Final thoughts before I pull the proverbial trigger? Thanks again gentlemen, what a great forum!

No, not really. Now you have what you need to buy what is right for you. You should not end up with any "after purchase" surprises.

Check Buds and Muzzle-loaders.com before you buy. They both have some good pricing and the models you mentioned.

jrkotz said:
Final thoughts before I pull the proverbial trigger? Thanks again gentlemen, what a great forum!

If you go the CVA route, and I recommend that direction, you'll have to get a blackhorn plug to shoot the blackhorn 209 powder that everyone else like shooting. Its about $30.00 bucks but worth every penny of it. After the plug and the gun, no surprises. CVA's customer service has been great the one time I needed a little help.

There is one thing that should be noted IF you go CVA nitride AND the BH209 plug.

The BH209 plug for nitride CVAs does NOT come with the install tool. The regular BH209 plug does come with the tool. You only need the tool the first time you seat the plug to your barrel.

Seat the plug hard the first time with the tool and break it loose with the tool. After that its hand removable.

Oh and scrub the snot out of the barrel as soon as you get it. The "packing grease" can be a pita to remove. Almost like a cosmoline. Not sure if they use it on the nitride rifles but cleaning a bore really good before ever firing it is a good idea.

I agree with one of the CVA's in Nitride. The Accura MR is the best fitting/feeling muzzleloader I've ever handled. The Optima V2 is right there with it if you are on a budget.

The MR has an adjustable trigger and is scope mount only from the factory. The Optima V2 trigger is excellent from the factory, so no worries either way.

The Optima V2 is either scope mount with d&t for sights, or sights with d&t for scope base/mount.

Get the Blackhorn 209 breech plug from either CVA or Western Powders. The Western Powders plug comes with everything you need to install and maintain for cleaning. It is only offered in stainless. The Black plug from CVA is not Nitride treated, but matches the nitride barrel.

If you can get the Accura MR Nitride for only $80 more than the Optina V2 Nitride, I would strongly consider it. That would be a no brainer for me.

You should try all 4 of them out for fit and handling if you can. Then decide.

Latest posts

Back