TC white mountain carbine 50 cal opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadball

Reaction score
I'm looking at a nice used one but don't know much about them if you have and shoot/hunt with one how do you like it thanks

I had a Traditions Buckskinner carbine at one time. 21inch barrel, fast twist 1/20. It was a good gun but I only could shoot conicals out of it. Very accurate but it kicked like a mule.
There are some old posts about the white mountain carbine. Guys loved it or hated it.
If your looking for a first muzzleloader, I'd suggest a Traditions deerhunter rifle. If you shop around, you can find one new for about $ 300.00.
24 inch barrel, 1/48 twist, can shoot patched round ball or conicals very well.

I had one when they first were introduced and I hated it, the single trigger was awful and the sights are very coarse. Make sure you’re okay with both of those things before you buy it.

Yep sights and trigger suk but both are fixable. Replace the sights with modern fiber optics or scope it. There is a semi-easy mod, by IdahoLewis, for the sear to make that trigger a really nice one. I had one and sold it. Wish i still had it.

The sear functions like any other single action sear. It’s simple and easy to make a very nice crisp release. Idaholewis’ directions on that subject are clear and concise. Follow them and you’ll love that little rifle.

The sear functions like any other single action sear. It’s simple and easy to make a very nice crisp release. Idaholewis’ directions on that subject are clear and concise. Follow them and you’ll love that little rifle.
And when in doubt ask Idaholewis for a hand , he has a new machine that fixes up your trigger slik and light at a fair price .Makes an ugly trigger pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He made my Buckeye special (special ) and that was a TC custom shop trigger that he (FIXED) Ed

I had one years ago. From what I remember it was a great, lightweight hunting gun. I never noticed a problem with the trigger. Buy it.

If the price is reasonable I would buy it. Light and easy to carry and accurate too, what’s not to like?
Get a small TC tang peep, fix the trigger and you are good to go. 80 grains of BP and a TC maxi hunter
bullet have killed a lot of deer and most anything else. I’ve even seen ones with a scope.
Mine even came with a good trigger 30 years ago, brand new!

If the price is reasonable I would buy it. Light and easy to carry and accurate too, what’s not to like?
Get a small TC tang peep, fix the trigger and you are good to go. 80 grains of BP and a TC maxi hunter
bullet have killed a lot of deer and most anything else. I’ve even seen ones with a scope.
Mine even came with a good trigger 30 years ago, brand new!
Heck, some of the single trigger tc’s aren’t bad at all... I’ve managed Expert level marksmanship with mil spec triggers several times over the years. It can be handled.

Back