Temptation lead me astray. New ML purchase.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
Been away from sidelocks for years. Had moved onto inlines. Problem is the darn inlines don't look good beside my two longbows on the rack! :D On a lark I called the Log Cabin Shop this morning and asked about current models being made and what was best for my needs at the price I was willing to pay. I ended up buying a percussion cap .50 Lyman Trade rifle. Hopefully Lyman/Investarms still makes good rifles. Never had experience with the Trade Rifle model. I'm sure someone on here has one or has shot one. Any comments on this rifle? Some decent pics would be nice too as the only pic on the Lyman website is kind of poor.

I own the .50 and .54 in Trade Rifles. They are excellent shooters. 90 grains of 2f black powder and a roundball. Lymans can take a large ball, so if you have some .495 try them. They are a great rifle as you will discover.

I have three .50 caliber black powder, muzzle-loading traditional rifles, 2 older CVA cap-locks (percussion cap) plus a Tradition's "Shenandoah" flint-lock Long Rifle. Of the 2 CVA cap-locks (Both Hawken rifles), one is my target rifle (28-inch barrel, 7½ lbs) and the other is my deer hunting rifle... a Hunter-Carbine CVA Hawken with a 24-inch barrel that weighs just 6½ lbs and is very handy in the woods and easy to carry.

All three rifles shoot very accurate 3-shot groups using 47 grains of Goex or Swiss FFFg with a .490-inch Hornady swagged round ball patched by .016" of cotton denim lubed with a mixture of bee's wax and liquid Crisco with a thin vegetable over-powder wad.

The little Carbine's hunting load is 70 grains of FFFg Swiss and the .490 rifle balls is capable of shooting through a deer at 80 yards or less which is my self-imposed range limit. The point is, you don't need a heavy charge of black powder in a .50 caliber rifle to put a deer down. Therefore, I recommend that you test your loads and choose "THE" most accurate load which is adequate for the type of terrain and the distance you shoot.

For paper targets, the 47 grain load works just fine out to 50 yards yielding 3 inter-locking holes in the paper off the bench-rest. For hunting deer, the same can be said for the 70 grain load of Swiss FFFg in the Hawken Hunter-Carbine. Your rifle may not "like" these loads, but give 'em a try and find out if they are as accurate in your rifle as they are in mine. :yeah:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I have three .50 caliber black powder, muzzle-loading traditional rifles, 2 older CVA cap-locks (percussion cap) plus a Tradition's "Shenandoah" flint-lock Long Rifle. Of the 2 CVA cap-locks (Both Hawken rifles), one is my target rifle (28-inch barrel, 7½ lbs) and the other is my deer hunting rifle... a Hunter-Carbine CVA Hawken with a 24-inch barrel that weighs just 6½ lbs and is very handy in the woods and easy to carry.

All three rifles shoot very accurate 3-shot groups using 47 grains of Goex or Swiss FFFg with a .490-inch Hornady swagged round ball patched by .016" of cotton denim lubed with a mixture of bee's wax and liquid Crisco with a thin vegetable over-powder wad.

The little Carbine's hunting load is 70 grains of FFFg Swiss and the .490 rifle ball is capable of shooting through a deer at 80 yards or less which is my self-imposed range limit. The point is, you don't need a heavy charge of black powder in a .50 caliber rifle to put a deer down. Therefore, I recommend that you test your loads and choose "THE" most accurate load which is adequate for the type of terrain and the distance you shoot.

For paper targets, the 47 grain load works just fine out to 50 yards yielding 3 inter-locking holes in the paper off the bench-rest. For hunting deer, the same can be said for the 70 grain load of Swiss FFFg in the Hawken Hunter-Carbine. Your rifle may not "like" these loads, but give 'em a try and find out if they are as accurate in your rifle as they are in mine. :yeah:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Your not astray.. you came home. Inlines shoot well and are great for taking deer, but old school is still the best to get away from it all.

Which reminds me I need to take my TC Hawkin back out. The next Lyman Great Plains rifle that comes up for a good price is coming to my house. I should have bought that one before Cayuga snatched it up a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back