That sucks !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up a renegade on gun broker. Suppose to be perfect condition:). It was cleaned up , oiled and all that but the screw holding the hammer to the lock is sheared off. I am sure the seller knew it because the lock was all clean and oiled inside indicating it had been taken apart . Guess I will look for a lock cheap. Don’t want to add to much more to the cost but don’t want to leave it unusable either . Pretty nice other than that . I just hate the little surprises that are so common when using auction sites .

I wouldn't replace an entire lock just because of a broken hammer screw. If there's not enough stub on the broken screw to grip with a pair of vice grips it's a fairly simple task to drill it out & re-tap for another screw. Worse-case scenario would be to replace the tumbler and get a new hammer screw.

bubba.50 said:
Worse-case scenario would be to replace the tumbler and get a new hammer screw.

Which i happen to have 2 or 3 Brand new ones :D Takes about 3 minutes to replace :yeah:

Idaholewis said:
bubba.50 said:

Which i happen to have 2 or 3 Brand new ones :D Takes about 3 minutes to replace :yeah:
If anyone wants to sell the parts I need I would be interested
Tumbler and hammer screw . Then hopefully I can put it all back together. I took it apart and the screw is broke off flush , no way to get it out .

1874sharpsshooter said:
Idaholewis said:
bubba.50 said:

Tumbler and hammer screw . Then hopefully I can put it all back together. I took it apart and the screw is broke off flush , no way to get it out .

PM me your addy and I’ll get them in the mail :yeah: Don’t throw your old one away, that broke off screw can probably be removed by someone with proper tools, These parts and pieces are bound to get tougher to get in the future

IkdYHg7.jpg

Don’t throw your old one away, that broke off screw can probably be removed by someone with proper tools

Easily done. Give it a day or so soak in Liquid Wrench. Then center punch it (the shock helps loosen it, in addition to being an aid in starting a drill bit). Then drill it with a reverse drill bit about 1/2 the diameter of the screw shaft. It will very likely back out as you are drilling.

Might also use a small drill bit and a small "easy out"(screw extractor). I use the punch trick quite often at work.

Idaholewis said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
Idaholewis said:

PM me your addy and I’ll get them in the mail :yeah: Don’t throw your old one away, that broke off screw can probably be removed by someone with proper tools, These parts and pieces are bound to get tougher to get in the future

IkdYHg7.jpg
Got it and got her fixed. Works like new
Thanks !! You want the one with broke screw ? I can send it to you cause I know I will never try to fix it

Sure, I’ll take it! Like i said these things are likely to get harder and harder to find. I have a Machinest Friend just up the Rd that i am positive can fix it :yeah:

Latest posts

Back