The best lock system for accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandro, Ill take a swing at this.

Fast lock systems on rifles or muzzle loaders do assist or contribute to accuracy. But are not accurate themselves. Reducing "lock Time" contributes to accuracy. I would say that an inline has shorter lock time than a traditional cap and ball style gun. However. We used to have a fellow here called Idaho Lewis. He used a traditional side lock in a 45 caliber to shoot I think 1000 yards plus. I think he has videos on you tube.

Lock time or action time refers to the time interval (often measured in milliseconds) from when the trigger of a firearm is activated until the firing pin strikes the primer, and depends on the design of the firing mechanism. A long lock time increases the probability of the shooter pulling the sights away from the target before the bullet has left the barrel, a common shooter error which can lead to poor hits or even misses. Shooters can therefore tend to experience better precision using firearms with a shorter lock time, and short lock times are especially sought after for shooting competitions which require high precision on small targets from unstable positions, such as the standing offhand position.

I dont think its safe to say that inlines are more accurate than traditional sidelock. Inlines may be easier for a fellow to pick up and shoot to hit a target. Especially with scopes and such.

Its the guy behind the gun that counts.

Kinda feel like I went in a circle but ended up in a corner.
Im sure someone else can clarify this.

I agree with this.
I've heard that sidelocks, because they have an action on the side of the gun, cause a twist when firing... I don't know if it's fact or myth.

Sandro, Ill take a swing at this.

Fast lock systems on rifles or muzzle loaders do assist or contribute to accuracy. But are not accurate themselves. Reducing "lock Time" contributes to accuracy. I would say that an inline has shorter lock time than a traditional cap and ball style gun. However. We used to have a fellow here called Idaho Lewis. He used a traditional side lock in a 45 caliber to shoot I think 1000 yards plus. I think he has videos on you tube.

Lock time or action time refers to the time interval (often measured in milliseconds) from when the trigger of a firearm is activated until the firing pin strikes the primer, and depends on the design of the firing mechanism. A long lock time increases the probability of the shooter pulling the sights away from the target before the bullet has left the barrel, a common shooter error which can lead to poor hits or even misses. Shooters can therefore tend to experience better precision using firearms with a shorter lock time, and short lock times are especially sought after for shooting competitions which require high precision on small targets from unstable positions, such as the standing offhand position.

I dont think its safe to say that inlines are more accurate than traditional sidelock. Inlines may be easier for a fellow to pick up and shoot to hit a target. Especially with scopes and such.

Its the guy behind the gun that counts.

Kinda feel like I went in a circle but ended up in a corner.
Im sure someone else can clarify this.
Lewis had a “trigger mod” which was actually a modification to the lock(tumbler) to make the trigger much better. I think that combined with lightening up the hammer can make the TC locks a really good one. I did both to the lock on my Renegade and put a double set ‘target trigger’ on it.(R.E.Davis Deerslayer trigger) I think i may lighten up the hammer even more someday. That combined with a .45cal Green Mntn lrh barrel and this will shoot as well as most of my inlines, with the exception of a couple sml guns.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I would say that the underhammer system was probably the most accurate of the old style more conventional guns. It has a fairly fast time plus it doesn’t distract you from what happens as the hammer strikes the cap. Inlines of course are better for the modern systems. But there were inline cap lock systems in the past too. Those weren’t as popular but were maybe a bit faster than the conventional sidelocks were.

I love the underhammer action! I'm fascinated by the quick and simple action of underhammers. In competitions, underhammers are a class apart, as they are far superior to sidelocks. There used to be inlines, does anyone have any idea why they weren't popular?

There are many things effecting accuracy. Stock bedding, lock time, bore/ rifling twist/ projectile types etc. But muzzleloaders seem to be juuust a bit different than breechloaders in coaxing accuracy.
My most accurate muzzleloader is my Firehawk. Next is my laminate stocked Hawken. Both fall flat on lock time, but the Firehawk is better than the Hawken.
But the Firehawk is basically a open bolt type with its rather substantial striker.
The Hawken gains even more lock time if I use the set triggers.
The Firehawk has superior bedding, but the Hawken can almost equal her in accuracy and consistency.
Both like the same load and both will shoot 4 inch 200 yard groups on calm days.
With any rifle, but muzzleloaders in particular, you have to learn how to shoot THAT rifle.
The Firehawk is the most accurate, and consistent, rifle I've ever owned. Breech or muzzleloaded and regardless of sight. Both the Firehawk and Hawken are aperture sighted.
The Firehawk's best 100 yard group, 3 rounds at 100 yards, is 5/16ths inch. Yeah, I know...
The Hawken's best, with the same load, is 5/8ths for 3 at 100.
The load is a 250 grain XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot over 70 grains of 3f Swiss lit with a Remington #11 cap.
When going from breech to muzzleloaded, one must forget a LOT. And learn a LOT more. There are things a breechloader would never tolerate that a muzzleloader is fine with.
And vice versa. But, that's all part of the fun!

I love the underhammer action! I'm fascinated by the quick and simple action of underhammers. In competitions, underhammers are a class apart, as they are far superior to sidelocks. There used to be inlines, does anyone have any idea why they weren't popular?

Basically they came too late in the middle of the 1800s. Cartridges started to become very popular instead. Plus they tended to look ugly and had some design flaws too such as the wrist area on the stock was subject to cracking. William Billinghurst was notable for making inline caplock rifles in the 1800s but he wasn’t the only one. The Colt cap and ball revolving carbine is another example as well. But it was a pistol with a stock and long barrel so the powder charge was anemic as compared to regular single shot rifles. It wasn’t all that popular except with certain people like the pony express riders for example.

Interestingly under hammer flintlocks were made back in the 1700s too. It makes one wonder how in the heck they got them to work without the powder in the flash pan falling out upside down like that.

As much as I like my break open single shots, they can't hold a candle to my bolt guns. The difference is small but for shear accuracy going over the 300yd mark into 400 & beyond, my bolt guns rule. I am not a paper puncher but my measurements are a minute of a deer or a fox. I have not played with, used or do I own a smokeless muzzleloader so I can't compare there.

If you are inclined to read about blackpowder arms, Major Ned Roberts wrote a book about caplocks (The muzzle-loading cap lock rifle / by Ned H. Roberts.). It was an eye openers for me on the accuracy these turn of the century rifles achieved before the introduction of cartridge ammunition. Many of his finding ring true today.

As much as I like my break open single shots, they can't hold a candle to my bolt guns. The difference is small but for shear accuracy going over the 300yd mark into 400 & beyond, my bolt guns rule. I am not a paper puncher but my measurements are a minute of a deer or a fox. I have not played with, used or do I own a smokeless muzzleloader so I can't compare there.

If you are inclined to read about blackpowder arms, Major Ned Roberts wrote a book about caplocks (The muzzle-loading cap lock rifle / by Ned H. Roberts.). It was an eye openers for me on the accuracy these turn of the century rifles achieved before the introduction of cartridge ammunition. Many of his finding ring true today.
I’d say the bolt guns have the edge simply because of the rifle stock differences between the two systems …the one piece ridged stock most likely interfaces better with the shooter along with a firing pin ignition as opposed to a slightly slower hammer fall.

Last edited:
I have a nickel to throw in the pot. Under-Hammer like my simple H & A. Don't have to worry with stock geometry causing any problems. My barrel/BP locks onto the solid action. No binding there, i have a scope on mine n it's the cats meow ! When this cold Winter weather gets mostly by i will be doing some shooting with the .40 cal

Back