The Great American Outdoor Show

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone going to The Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pa next week? Show starts this Saturday and runs thru to Superbowl Sunday.
We will be heading there this coming Sunday February 6th. We have been going for about 35 years now. It’s a good show with good exhibitors. Look forward to it each winter to break up the monotony.

I just went this Wednesday. Past several years, me and my son always picked a day to go, get out of the house. Good show. Time to get him his own rifle, he loved the Mossberg Patriot, now to find one!!!

I just went this Wednesday. Past several years, me and my son always picked a day to go, get out of the house. Good show. Time to get him his own rifle, he loved the Mossberg Patriot, now to find one!!!
Do some research on the Patriot. Check out "Backfire" on YouTube. I surely do miss that show. I was born in that town.

It was a great show but not much there for the muzzleloading crowd...CVA had a booth, but Traditions did not, or at least had bugged out by the time I got there. No Pedersoli, Knight, anything like that. The archery area, which included treestands and various other hunting parephenalia was good...fishing section was weak, but it was a fun day and if you leave reasonably near Harrisburg, it was a very nice, family friendly way to spend the day! Costly though...I bought a new crossbow, but I knew I would since that was the main item at the show I wanted to see/test!

Yes..too rich for my blood! I was looking for something very specific...the Hickory Creek Mini-Inline crossbow...it is essentially a compound bow with a a drawloc and trigger that is held vertically...I was looking for something to use in tight quarters where the opening of the crossbow limbs against branches would not be a concern. Cool little crossbow. I also looked at the CVA Accura, which was very nice but very heavy...My CVA Wolf is light and easy to carry around the woods...I felt like the Accura would feel quite heavy after a while. - The guy at the CVA booth said you CANNOT use real black powder in a CVA modern inline...that you MUST use a sub...why would that be?

Last edited:
...the Hickory Ridge Mini-Inline crossbow...it is essentially a compound bow with a a drawloc and trigger that is held vertically...I was looking for something to use in tight quarters where the opening of the crossbow limbs against branches would not be a concern. Cool little crossbow.
My buddy was checking them out when we were at the show. I really like the concept of that crossbow with vertical limbs. Should be great for tree stand and blind hunting. Price is pretty reasonable too. I also like that you can use your own arrows. I am surprised they are not more popular than they are, and that other xbow companies have not come out with vertical xbow lines.

Ravin is allegedly coming out with one and there are a few other prototype ones out there. I think it is a niche product...because it is built off a compound bow, it does not have the blazing speeds that a "modern" crossbow does...so those looking for fast crossbows don't want it...and compound bow shooters don't want anything to do with crossbows. It is also not a fancy build...very functional...which I like...not a whole lot to break. I like that you can easily decock with your hands, that no rail means longer lasting string life, that it breaks down easily. For my needs, I think it will work well. But it is not cheap...at almost $800 I think people "expect" a fancier looking rig. Anyway, I am looking forward to using it...will report back.

We’ve had several using the Hickory Ridge vertical version in our deer management hunt group - all have enjoyed their time with them, and been successful in the field. Very little breakage and generally liable over multiple seasons

After reading all the write ups and watching the available videos I gotta say this is very interesting . I could definitely see the benefit of walking and stalking through brush and the benefits of the vertical design in a tree stand or blind . Damn wasnt thinking about a new crossbow Ill really have to fight the urge.Thanks Jack for posting.

Latest posts

Back