The $$$$$$ Haven!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
It's easy to tell where the money is in the shooting world just by an occasional glance at one of the 'so-called' hunting/shooting shows that appear on television in multitudes! I seldom sit and watch these things....and if I do it's usually one of Jim Shockey's videos as his is the only one IMO that are even done half-way right! One could be led to believe that noone shoots any muzzle loaders this day and age for I cannot recall ever seeing a show that even remotely was about hunting with a muzzle loading rifle. From time to time there will be a guy on a video splitting a card with a ML but other than that....pretty much SOL!! Having started deer hunting in 1950 I oft times wonder in amazement how in the heck I ever got my first buck without using all the crap that's advertised today that you just got to have!!

:affraid: :shock: :Questuon: :slaps:

Most of them are about hawking whatever product they can get to sponsor the show.  If you don't see muzzleloader shows, it's because the muzzleloader makers aren't  spending their ad money that way.  I've been an occasional watcher of hunting shows in the past but I really don't care to watch people kill stuff on tv, I have no problem doing it myself, I just don't like watching it.

Yep, the movers and shakers behind those shows want you to believe that a pair of $500 hunting boots,
someone's custom rifle in .338 Lapua magnum with Kahles scope are must have stuff for deer hunting.  Then you must have someone's specially treated anti-scent clothing and that $14,000 four wheeler to haul away the catch.  Then there is the $70,000  diesel pickup with enclosed trailer to carry all that stuff.

Muzzleloader hunting is very small potatoes.   I rather like it that way.

In my fantasy world, a video production co. follows the adventures of a hunter in his 60's, fulfilling his dream of taking various North American big game with a reproduction mid-18th century smooth rifle........... :thumbs up: ............a final legacy to leave his kids and grandkids!

Sasquatch does traditional muzzle loading. Meat Eater is another great show.

There's quite a few shows that show modern muzzleloader hunting all the time. If you don't watch the shows you wouldn't know that. CVA and TC mostly.

Muley said:
There's quite a few shows that show modern muzzleloader hunting all the time. If you don't watch the shows you wouldn't know that. CVA and TC mostly.

But I don't consider Modern Muzzleloader Rifles as TRADITIONAL! IMO they're a 'bastardization' of the real thing! In my opinion, and I've seen the results on my range that some of these rifles are accurate out to 400 yards or beyond and that's 'stretching it' in comparison to the traditional PRB rifle.

:cheers: :lol:

lighthorseman said:
In my fantasy world, a video production co. follows the adventures of a hunter in his 60's, fulfilling his dream of taking various North American big game with a reproduction mid-18th century smooth rifle........... :thumbs up: ............a final legacy to leave his kids and grandkids!
...and others that want to be innovative, apart from the crowd, etc. 

I know a man in SE Alaska who has taken many fine trophies some of which have made the Long Hunter (?) awards program with a Hawken muzzleloader. He enjoys the hunt as well as any other motivated hunter.

It'd be nice to own a flintlock trade gun someday. That'd be a smooth bore too and would be a great addition to my Hawken gun.

I saw a Sasquatch episode this morning where he was carrying the gun over his shoulder, held by the muzzle. HAMMER DOWN on a LIVE CAP!! Walking through a thicket.
Luckily, he only shot off his little finger.

-Joe

Yipes! 

Learn, hopefully, and live... Glad he didn't shoot a camera person. 

This unfortunate accident due to firearm mishandling could form a decent discussion on how to carry a capped gun or whether to cap or prime a muzzle loader gun you are carrying through the mountain brush capped until you are ready to take the shot. So here goes from my perspective, knowledge and training so far....

The 3 main NRA Gun Safety Rules are as follows:

1. Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction.
2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. Always keep your gun unloaded (round unchambered I read it as) until ready to use.

These rules are important but it seems to me that in an instance when for what ever reason the situation becomes unmanageable, having an unloaded gun or a gun where the round is unchambered, would help alleviate an accident entirely.

Grouse hunting, pheasant hunting, jump shooting deer etc.and whatever seem to demand a hunter have a shell in the chamber. Hammer guns with a shell in the chamber or a cap on the nipple or a primed pan are ready to shoot. Slipped safeties may also cause problems SO back to rule 3.

As a professional big game hunting guide for 18 years our camp rule was never chamber a round until ready to shoot.  Double guns were carried w/no shell in the chamber or the action broke open. Some guide hunters keep their bolt in the up position meaning the action is not fully closed and the gun can't fire even with a shell in the chamber. There are all kinds of variations to this given the guns action type.

In my opinion the parts of a second it takes to chamber a round (in a bolt, lever or pump gun) is worth it in terms of safety even compared to maybe not being able to take the shot. Safety trumps the inability to make the shot in every situation.

There are all sorts of situations in the field where I may chamber a round or cap my gun and when those situations change, I will uncap or unchamber the round in my gun. A capped or primed gun is ready to shoot. Safeties, hammer covers, tethers etc. do not negate the fact that the round is chambered or in the case of the muzzleloader that the nipple or pan are primed.

Latest posts

Back