Thinking Ahead to BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTR2133

Reaction score
I'm not switching this year, but I plan to upgrade my ML after this season and will have an option to then shoot BH209. I've been reading up and it sure seems to me there are a lot of threads and issues with breech plug problems, blow-back, shims, vent-liners, etc. etc. I've never experienced any of these issues with my ML and T7 Pellets w Win Blue 209 primers. So, I have some basic questions:

1. From what I am reading folks using BH209 do have to use a drill bit to remove carbon build-up from the flash channel of their breech plug. How often must that be done? Is that just when cleaning at the end of the day or necessary after a few shots?
2. Some of what I am reading implies or directly states the use of the drill bit to remove carbon is due to using shotshell primers. So, is it the primers that cause the need for carbon removal or the BH209? I ask bc I've been using (we've all been using) 209 primers for many years. I've never once cleaned my 2004 Optima breech with a drill bit to remove carbon. I've never had a mis-fire, hang-fire or anything. My bp doesn't look to have carbon build-up of any note either. I clean with a breech brush and pipe cleaner with solvent and store. I've shot 80 times with my gun (still on the first primer pack).

Thanks, hoping I haven't just been missing an important cleaning step to keep my flash-channel clean of carbon!

Might be a good idea to state what gun you will be using.. you need to use drill bit to clean flame channel after say 10-15 shots sometimes less with real hot loads.Doing this is unique to BH209 this problem doesn't exist with just 209 primers and regular powder.
As far as cleaning BH209 just use whatever you use to clean your CF rifles, do not use any water based products only solvent based, clean until patches come out clean same as regular BP.

Might be a good idea to state what gun you will be using.. you need to use drill bit to clean flame channel after say 10-15 shots sometimes less with real hot loads.Doing this is unique to BH209 this problem doesn't exist with just 209 primers and regular powder.
As far as cleaning BH209 just use whatever you use to clean your CF rifles, do not use any water based products only solvent based, clean until patches come out clean same as regular BP.

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear that. I will most likely be getting a CVA Optima V2 or possibly the CVA Accura MR. I am hoping I can find a great deal this winter after season.

Latest posts

Back