Third shot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
I was wondering, after reading TMAX's post, about other shooters's third shot being off an inch or so. I've noticed that when I get a really good shot group going the third shot is almost always off a little. Does anybody experience this and could it be just because the barrel is warmer on the third then the other two?

I notice this more when I have a good group going and then I blow the third shot by tensing up because I am trying to make a small group or I don't allow the barrel to cool enough.

I also noticed that when I don't seat the bullet with the same pressure and compress the load a little more than normal, that shot usually goes higher.

When I relax, do everything the same, have just the right load, throw in some patience and let the gun do the work, it usually all comes together.

If its the third shot at the beginning of the day you are getting the rifle to settle in after burning the oil out of the barrel. If you live in an area like AR then if you do not let the gun cool between shots then its likely barrel heating causing the POI to walk. Lee

This is most likely due to barrel heating.. something the smokeless guys are well versed in.

Admittedly, I am impatient... so when I get 2 touching and one that blows the group.. I know it is barrel heating and it doesnt bother me.

It's the first shot that counts and that is really all that concerns me.. First shot of the day at the range with a sighted in gun/load is what is important ...... Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Back