This dont look right.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKDad

Reaction score
Finally found a place about an hour away that had primers. Thought maybe I should bring the breach plug with me but didn't. Guy at the counter seemed like he knew exactly what I needed so I felt confident with my purchase. Until I got home that is. Went to test fit the primer and I my jaw about hit the floor. This cant be right, primer just falls out as well. I thought all 209 primers were the same, the guy even asked me if it was for an inline muzzle loader. 20220903_213936.jpg

What is the brand name of the primer? European primers have a larger diameter than American primers. I guess I also should ask what rifle is that BP for?

TC Omega right? Looks about right to me - hard to tell from your pic. Should be sitting about .131” proud above the plug. Is it bottoming out in the plug? Here’s a Fed 209A sitting right in a TC plug. And yes it will just fall out.

311D5974-B417-4D54-93E7-54BBEA3D1F43.jpeg

Side-by-side of yours vs the way it should look.
8E7B18BD-8372-4420-9564-8233D5E55B9E.jpeg

Last edited:
You know earlier in this century I had a couple of Omegas and even a Triumph, but I really do not remember the primer up out of the BP that far! But they work well. Never ever understood why TC dropped, or dropped the ball, on the Omega very good rifle! And yes... most importunately you want the primer to fall out especially after it has been shot!

Photo shows just one advantage of Bestill' breech plug over the factory breech plug. The Federal 209A primer is nestled deeper in the socket, thus resists blow through better. Looks better too!

G_0199.jpg

Yes it's the TC Omega. I did test fire the primer and it seemed to work OK so I went out and fired it today and everything seemed good.
When I first saw a video of them loading a primer it was on a newer model and the primers sat flush. So naturally I thought it was a no go. No blow back around the primer and the breach seems to function and lock properly. I think I'm all set. Very cool experience to say the least. After picturing all the horrible things that could go wrong and pulling the trigger (50gn 1st shot) I was SO relieved. Thanks for all the info everyone. Looking forward to sighting it in now. Then off to try my luck at some coyotes. What's the best range to sight it in considering I likely won't be shooting past 150yds? My other rifles I start at 25yds then fine tune at 100yds.

Rory

Photo shows just one advantage of Bestill' breech plug over the factory breech plug. The Federal 209A primer is nestled deeper in the socket, thus resists blow through better. Looks better too!

G_0199.jpg
The TC is exactly the same as mine, should be good. Thanks for the refence.

Rory

Latest posts

Back