Thompson Center Hawken/Renegade Variances

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She looks FACTORY Stock :lewis: That is a late Variation Hammer, they came with that slight offset
My parents bought me that rifle for Christmas the year I turned 17. It has received some battle scars over the last 35 years. The last time I shot that rifle was in 2010, the year I killed my profile pic bull. I was packing that rifle as a back-up to my White. Decided after that trip, I was getting too old to pack two rifles....

Lewis,
I've seen images of those bases mounted onto Renegade barrels, but I never knew that they were a T/C product.

Are all breech plugs drilled and tapped for that third screw? I think I recall seeing a picture of the top of a breech plug that had the hole without a plug in it. It has got to be a small thread, something like a 4-40?

Bruce

p.s.
What type of rings work with that T/C base #9930? Will ordinary Weaver rings fit the base?

Thanks
I believe mine s drilled and tapped with a small slotted plug in it. I’ll check in the morning. My gun is at my shop, and I’m home for the evening.

Lewis,
I've seen images of those bases mounted onto Renegade barrels, but I never knew that they were a T/C product.

Are all breech plugs drilled and tapped for that third screw? I think I recall seeing a picture of the top of a breech plug that had the hole without a plug in it. It has got to be a small thread, something like a 4-40?

Bruce

p.s.
What type of rings work with that T/C base #9930? Will ordinary Weaver rings fit the base?

Thanks

I have seen some that don’t have the 3rd hole, But The VAST MAJORITY of TC Barrels i have seen Do Have the 3rd Hole for their Scope Base, The Hole is all the way Back in the Breech Plug. Even the Green Mountain Drop in Barrels Have the 3rd Hole. The Scope Base Was DEFINITELY a TC item, Designed SPECIFICALLY for their Rifles. They made them for their Rounded Barreled Rifles as well, Such as the TC New Englander/Greyhawk/Treehawk, Etc. I see them Pop up for Sale from time to time. To the best of my knowledge they were designed for Weaver Cross Slot Rings, Along with TC’s Own Rings, They made what was Called a “Lobo” as well (I believe it went in the 2 Rear Sight Holes ONLY) An Extended Eye Relief Setup I believe? I had one of them as well, Brand new in the Package, But Traded it off

Here is a 32” Green Mountain Roundball Twist Barrel sitting beside me As i type this, i just snapped a picture of the 3rd Hole the Scope Base uses. As you can see here this Hole has a Simple Plug/filler in the Hole, It wouldn’t surprise me to see one missing on an Old Barrel? But most that i have seen have the Plug/Filler in the Hole
sngqGVIl.jpg

LOTS of Clearance with the TC Base
P2nNSvi.jpg

Here is that other Setup i had. Also a TC Product
MnGUGAJl.jpg

This is a Pic I grabbed off the Net, it’s NOT mine. I believe this is the Above mount? But I don’t know that for Sure?
0GQuxGem.jpg

I believe mine s drilled and tapped with a small slotted plug in it. I’ll check in the morning. My gun is at my shop, and I’m home for the evening.
And there it is. Like I stated earlier, this gun has some battle wounds. They say the male brain isn’t fully developed until 24-25 years old. So I had this rifle 7 years with only half a brain.....

Attachments

• A0C694F8-0748-45F8-B0AF-EEB29D4A2597.jpeg
    A0C694F8-0748-45F8-B0AF-EEB29D4A2597.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 21
Lewis, have you ever had your nose whacked with your Renegade? It’s been a few years since I handled mine until just the last couple of days. I shouldered it just now and felt my nose touching the comb. Brought back some painful memories of getting smacked in the beak a time or two with it. I think it’s mainly the eye relief on the scope that’s causing me to do that. I do have it mounted a little far forward to avoid the hammer, and I think “getting up” into the scope is responsible.....

Porter, I dont think anyone would get a black eye with it. I have a TC Hawken and it is a very mild shooter with the 32" GM barrel. I would love a scope on my Hawken , , , but , , it just seems, so , , I dont know, , so " inline" or something, almost like an insult to the gun.

Porter, I dont think anyone would get a black eye with it. I have a TC Hawken and it is a very mild shooter with the 32" GM barrel. I would love a scope on my Hawken , , , but , , it just seems, so , , I dont know, , so " inline" or something, almost like an insult to the gun.
I only did it cause I couldn’t see the open sights any longer. It’s a 1x scope and actually makes things look farther away. It was deadly accurate at 200 yards though, last time I shot it (2010). The crosshairs just left a tiny bit of a paper plate visible at that range so it was pretty easy to tell when you were holding dead on. It would pound shot after shot into that plate. I loaded it with a 100 gns 777 2f and 250 grain EZ Glides or power belts. It shot them both extremely well. I don’t know that it would black an eye, but being punched on the end of the nose made the eyes water a time or two.

Lewis, have you ever had your nose whacked with your Renegade? It’s been a few years since I handled mine until just the last couple of days. I shouldered it just now and felt my nose touching the comb. Brought back some painful memories of getting smacked in the beak a time or two with it. I think it’s mainly the eye relief on the scope that’s causing me to do that. I do have it mounted a little far forward to avoid the hammer, and I think “getting up” into the scope is responsible.....

I missed this somehow?

I have never been hit with the Renegades or Hawkens, They Fit like a Fine Swiss Watch for me.

Now i have NEARLY Broke my nose a Few times with my Lyman Great Plains Fast Twist .54 Cal, it’s my Thumb that Gets me. I shoot a Lyman 57 Tang mounted Peep on the Lyman GP Rifle as well, it is a little Shorter Through the Wrist area than my TC’s, And the Lyman Has that HEAVY DROP Comb. When i Wrap my Thumb Around the Wrist, And get my Cheek weld, This puts my Thumb RIGHT AT the Bridge of my Nose. It only takes 1 Shot to Remember :D I don’t shoot this Rifle much, When i do Grab it, i have forgotten the Last WACK to the Nose, So my 1st Shot is usually an Eye Watering deal :D I had this Rifle out Recently with my 525 Grain GG Bullets to put a Good Group on my YouTube Channel with hit, The 1st Shot was a SLAM TO THE NOSE, i stood there with my Eyes Watering, i Cussed the Gun a little, Actually a LOT. I tried to Settle in and Make the Group happen, But i was Gun Shy, i ended up with a 2” Group. The Rifle will Shoot EVERY bit as good as my Others, But i am not a Real Big Fan of the Lyman GPH

I missed this somehow?

I have never been hit with the Renegades or Hawkens, They Fit like a Fine Swiss Watch for me.

Now i have NEARLY Broke my nose a Few times with my Lyman Great Plains Fast Twist .54 Cal, it’s my Thumb that Gets me. I shoot a Lyman 57 Tang mounted Peep on the Lyman GP Rifle as well, it is a little Shorter Through the Wrist area than my TC’s, And the Lyman Has that HEAVY DROP Comb. When i Wrap my Thumb Around the Wrist, And get my Cheek weld, This puts my Thumb RIGHT AT the Bridge of my Nose. It only takes 1 Shot to Remember :D I don’t shoot this Rifle much, When i do Grab it, i have forgotten the Last WACK to the Nose, So my 1st Shot is usually an Eye Watering deal :D I had this Rifle out Recently with my 525 Grain GG Bullets to put a Good Group on my YouTube Channel with hit, The 1st Shot was a SLAM TO THE NOSE, i stood there with my Eyes Watering, i Cussed the Gun a little, Actually a LOT. I tried to Settle in and Make the Group happen, But i was Gun Shy, i ended up with a 2” Group. The Rifle will Shoot EVERY bit as good as my Others, But i am not a Real Big Fan of the Lyman GPH
Yeah I think it’s just because of how far forward the scope is. I f I just shoulder it comfortably, and forget about sight picture, I don’t think it would happen. With open sights, I don’t ever remember having it happen. I refitted a Williams rear sight with a much finer front bead to it than the TC originals. I shot this very accurately until it just got too hard to see the bead. Wish I could still see....
I wear 1.5 readers when I shoot my bow, I can see the pins good but out past 30 yards the target starts to blur. I can shoot it accurately enough out to 50 yards. I tried that with my sons musket and I would be able to see a deer or an elk good enough to put it in there. It makes it dang tough to hold on a blurry 1” bullseye to shoot for grouping though. Frustrating....

Looking around for a renegade scope mount I found this Holden Ironsighter #375. High enough to clear the hammer and not offset so distance shouldn't be a factor. I have these on my Marlin 336 and it's not that high. a few on ebay for less than $30/
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the additional images of the bases, Michiganmuzzy.

I had seen a rifle with a scope mounted on it with the Holden base.

But, I had not yet seen a top view of the offset Renegade base that was as clear and informative as the one you just posted.

Weaver/Picatinny rings will attach directly to the Renegade base, correct?

Bruce

Thanks for the additional images of the bases, Michiganmuzzy.

I had seen a rifle with a scope mounted on it with the Holden base.

But, I had not yet seen a top view of the offset Renegade base that was as clear and informative as the one you just posted.

Weaver/Picatinny rings will attach directly to the Renegade base, correct?

Bruce
yes its made for Weaver. I just bought the Holden Iron sighter from Ebay. It is way less expensive and I think I can still use my peep sight with it. It looks like the buckhorn can be removed from it.

The other cool thing I found was this guy selling a Renegade barrel with a T/C LOBO scope on it. Looks like a pistol scope and it has the weaver rail on the scope and a little mount that screws to the barrel where the rear sight goes. I think it's the TC 9754 mount
s-l1600.jpg

Today I received an old style high spur hammer and a Davis Deerslayer trigger. I gotta say, this trigger is amazing just by itself. But compare it to the stock trigger and it's like comparing frozen boogers to clover honey. Worth every penny and then some. Brand new it cost about what some sell stock triggers for on ebay. https://www.logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=&product_id=25741

Today I received an old style high spur hammer and a Davis Deerslayer trigger. I gotta say, this trigger is amazing just by itself. But compare it to the stock trigger and it's like comparing frozen boogers to clover honey. Worth every penny and then some. Brand new it cost about what some sell stock triggers for on ebay. https://www.logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=&product_id=25741
I"m always looking to improve my long range targets as my Renegade is the one thing I can up grade ,(EYES/age ) I think I"m stuck with .That said the stock trigger is down to ounces and repeatable ,came with an ebay stock I paid way to much for (skip checkering /wood) and perhaps a trigger job? But all my other sidelock stocks seem mostly similar so question is what did you improve on the stock triggers?Like I said I"m retired (not rich) but I would give up a lot if there was a significant improvement /who needs dentists anyway/Ed

Back