Thompson Center Hawken/Renegade Variances

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
This is something i have wanted to do for awhile, Frustration from buying a New Stock without a Tang is what helped me to Decide to Post this.

I know there are LOTS of Folks that Strip these Old TC Stocks down, and Sell EVERY part Separately, Obviously to make as much money as they Possibly Can. I Try my BEST to BOYCOTT Those Sellers, I won’t buy from them unless I ABSOLUTELY have to have a Part, I will wait til i find a COMPLETE Stock that Has NOT been Stripped of it’s Parts

The Rifles that were put together, and Fitted by TC (NOT Kit Guns) are usually Fitted pretty Well. If they Seen a BIG GAP at the Factory they could pretty easily Fix it, Fit it Properly, Etc. When i see these Stocks that have Been COMPLETELY Stripped of their Parts the First thing that comes to my mind is Fitting that Stock Back with Parts from another Rifle, They DON’T all fit right!! Some NOT AT ALL!!

Here is Why Parts from 1 Rifle DON’T all, Always Fit Right “Drop in” There are like 3 Variations of The Hawken, and the Renegade. Starting from the VERY BEGINNING, The OLDEST Rifles (Variation 1) Then there is a Variation 2, and a Later Variation (Newest Models) All 3 of these Variations have Slight Differences, to LARGE ones! So lets say you have a REALLY Old Stock (Variation 1) And you need Parts for it? You buy a WHOLE Bunch of Parts off Ebay, Only to find out that Some of them DON’T FIT :(

The oldest Variation 1 Tangs used 2 Wood Screws To mount the Tang in Place. The Later versions only use 1 Wood Screw in the Rear Hole, and a Long Machine Screw in the Front Tang Hole, This Long Machine Screw goes all the way through the Stock and Threads in to the Trigger Guard. These Parts do NOT interchange, You need to be aware of that, and Know EXACTLY what you have, and What you need?

Here are examples of Locks, Notice the Hammer Changes, There are Slight variances in the Lock Plates as well, Even the Sears (there are 2 Different ones)

Lock Assembly - w/ High Spur Hammer - Early Variation - Original

tpFGLxV.jpg

Lock Assembly - w/ High Spur Hammer - Late Variation - Original
SQsn9a2.jpg

Lock Assembly - w/ Low Spur Hammer - Late Variation - Original
s171zJw.jpg

Lock Plates:

Lock Plate - 1st Variation - Original

NUkuZd3.jpg

This Thompson Center manufactured first variation lock plate is for the percussion Hawken muzzle loading rifle which uses the first variation sear and a sear screw

Lock Plate - 2nd Variation - Original
STob1KQ.jpg

This Thompson Center manufactured second variation lock plate is for the later percussion Hawken muzzle loading rifle which uses the second variation sear lacking the need of a sear screw

This is where i got the Pics above, This Guy does a Good Job of Describing each Part, And Variances

Scroll down through and Read, ALMOST All Parts Have Different Variations, From the OLDEST Guns, to the Newest of their Rifles before they Quit Making them. If you need a Part for your Hawken/Renegade? THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW!!

Thompson Center Hawken Parts
http://cfnparts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=438

Thompson Center Renegade Parts
Thompson Center Renegade Muzzle Loading Rifle Parts

A LOT of folks don’t realize this Stuff? I mess with these Old TC Hawken/Renegades SO MUCH that i have ran across everything Imaginable, The Different Variations, Fit, etc.

If a guy a needs a Part? It’s IMPORTANT to Know what you Have? And What you need? They are NOT all the Same

Right here is what i am dealing with now, The Stock i bought did NOT come with a Tang, and of ALL things it’s a “Silver Elite” The guy i bought it from had Sold the Barrel, and Tang from the Stock Separately, which Created me a BIG PROBLEM!

Here is the TC Hawken Tang i had on Hand and Hoped I would be able to use? This is the OLD Variation 1 That uses 2 Simple Wood Screws to Anchor it Down, This one is Also Factory Drilled and Tapped for a Tang Peep Sight, you can see the Thread Plug
1mtKLMU.jpg

I get the New Stock, and LO N BEHOLD it is the Newer Variation, it Requires the Long Machined Screw that Goes in the Forward Tang Hole, ALL THE WAY THROUGH the Stock, and Screws in to the Trigger Guard

See the 2 Holes i have Arrows Pointing to? The RED Arrow is Pointing to the Hole that the LONG Machined Screw i am Referring to Goes in to. The purple arrow is pointing at the Little Hole that uses a Simple Small Wood Screw (you can see them to the left) to Hold the Trigger Guard to the Stock.
CmWRft1.jpg

Here is the Long Front Tang Screw i am Talking about that goes ALL the way through the Stock and in to the Trigger Guard, this is the Screw i need for my New Stock. Quite a bit different than a little Wood Screw Huh?
smPWytN.jpg

And here for Demonstration, Educational purposes is an Old Variation 1 Trigger Guard, Notice this one ONLY HAS the 1 little Hole for the Small Wood Screw to hold the Trigger Guard to the Stock. This one does NOT have the 2nd Hole that the Long Machined Screw Goes through
Nrq0Q1k.jpg

ALL OF THE ABOVE is why I BOYCOTT Buying from Guy’s that STRIP these Old Stocks Down of Their Factory put together Parts, and Sell Them Separately. It can become a ROYAL PITA to find all of the Correct Parts/Variations to Put them Back together. NOT TO Mention POOR Fit & Finish

My advice is to Buy a COMPLETE Stock, With ALL Factory Parts attached. You might think you are getting away Cheaper? And you might Just luck out and Do so? But there’s a MUCH better Chance that you will end up Spending WAY more in the End, and have CR@PPY Fit & Finish

The ONLY time i will buy Spare Parts from the Folks that Strip them, is When i have no other Choice

Lew is spot on with this post! I purchased a beautiful used Renegade stock that came with the Tang and trigger guard. I took everything off my old Renegade stock and everything seemed to fit perfectly. It was then after it was all assembled I realized I wasn’t able to set the trigger?????? Thanks to Lew in reviewing the pictures I sent him he told me I had to and where to bend the trigger guard. By doing so I am now able to set the trigger satisfactory but there isn’t much clearance between the trigger and trigger guard. But at least it works! :thumbs up:

Back