Tight sabots in Undersized Bores-Have you measured the bore?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jascoesens

Reaction score
Hi All!
I'm curious. For those of you who have had a ML that had a barrel so tight that most sabots loaded only with great effort; have you measured your land to land bore at the muzzle? --- If so, how small did your bore measure?
I have a CVA Wolf with a bore measurement of 0.499". This is so tight that .44 cal bullets with the green Harvester Crush-rib sabots is still too tight.
For .45 cal bullets: Harvester Crush-ribs didn't help enough. MMP's HPH-24 sabots were a little better. MMP's 3-petal EZ sabots helped the best. I can actually use the Hornady 250gr SST bullet w/ the 3-petal, and that loads with firm but managable pressure with a fouled barrel. I run a spit patch between each shot.
For saboted loads I maybe limitted to tha shorter ~250gr and or pointy bullets, because I tried HDY 300gr XTPs w/ the 3- petal sabot and that was too tight. More bearing surface?
So--- Who has measured their tight ML barrel??
Thanks! James

Bore measuring

How do you measure a bore?? I keep seeing this in a lot of the areas, and what does it matter? I use a SW super glide for my 50 caliber rifle, what more is there?

I have Slugged the Barrles of my 2 KNIGHTS MY Disc Extreme was .503
and my KRB7 was .503.5 !

you may have to try something like a Saber tooth by HARVESTER or a powerbelt that way you could shoot a heavyer bullet that will load eazy.

RON G.

The perfect bullet for a tightish bore would be a Parker Ballistic Extreme. They measure .450 to start with whereas the SSTs/XTPs generally measure closer to .4515-.452. Makes all the difference in the world.

big6x6 said:
The perfect bullet for a tightish bore would be a Parker Ballistic Extreme. They measure .450 to start with whereas the SSTs/XTPs generally measure closer to .4515-.452. Makes all the difference in the world.

How are their conicals for a 50 cal? My Omega slugged out at .501.

I used to have a CVA/BPI "Beartooth Magnum" (looks just like the Wolf) that I measured at .496. It was so tight that the only thing that really loaded well was PowerBelts. I finally found that a .452 bullet in a MMP 3-petal EZ would go down without undue strain - just very snug.
I love my White Ultra Mag in .504; it shoots anything and everything like it was designed for it! :D

Tight sabots in Undersized Bores

Thanks all for your input

Buck, I used a dial caliper to measure my bore. I'm not sure that it matters much, but I 'm having a difficult time finding a skinny pointy bullet & sabot combination that is accurate in my ML and fairly easy to load. My goal is to find a combination that would be effective out to 175-200 yards max.

Lungbuste1, Did you consider these MLs you mentioned to have tight bore? I stared ML with the 295gf PB, which loaded easily but has a rainbow trajectory. I had 2 175 yard opportunities in 06 that my PB load couldn't make.

Big6x6, Thanks for the suggestion. That extra thousandth may be just the ticket. As pointy as they are they may have a shorter bearing surface that would allow my ML to use the heavier bullet too, if it is more accurate.

Thanks! James

jascoesens, I'm interested to read what you have to say but the color you've chosen for your text and color(original before the black background)make it impossible.

James

In the Knights .503 to .504

TC .500 to .502

Traditions and CVA .499 to .503

This has been my Exper. on bore diam. but don't take this as EXACT they can flux .

The bad thing is there is no manufacturing set standeds in barrles for ML
that is why some times it is very hard to find a bullet that fits and prefoms right

RON G.

Back