tighten up a wedge pin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a pin, you can peen the barrel tenon a bit where the pin slides through. Just a slight burr will snug things up.

the part where the wedge goes through, bend it towards the barrel and if your not comfortable with that wrap some masking tape around that so it is thicker and then the wedge should hold your barrel tight.

Theres a difference between a pin and a wedge key. Which are we dealing with?

im trying to be acurat. haha , its a t/c wedge  . I like t/c parts cause you can do the stuff im trying to do without a lot of work. so I took a green mnt 45 fast twist barrel and a pa hunter carbine stock then I put a renegade flint lock lock  on it . but the wedge key falls out when I turn the stock sideways . it really looks good with the stainless barrel on the wood stock, I still need to put a ramrod guide , that thing between the barrel and the ramrod , ferrels and sights and well you know . I have a pile of parts from years of doing this. but sometimes I need help too

Try putting a slight bend in the wedge key.  Once you get it to fit snugly, I would modify the wedge to be captured by a pin under the escutchon.

img_0010.jpg

Mine has also gotten to be loose in my Renegade.  I found that the wedge pin had backed out about an 1/8" when I went to take it down for cleaning after the last shooting session.  I figured it was just a worn wedge pin, but when I put the new one in that I had I was able to push it all the way in with just my thumb.  I used to always have to tap it in. 
I guess I'll try tapping the tenon a little more closed after reading this.

If you need to adjust them a lot, you can heat them up gently with a propane torch to make it easier. Have rifles have some super  thick tenons.

Latest posts

Back