Time to unload and clean the rifles.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I had a White Bison loaded now for almost a week. Its snowing like the devil here, but what better time to shoot then this. So I took my pre measured charges (80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f) and some 500 grain Bull Shop conicals I had sized to .503 outside. With the target at 35 yards (since this is the range I normally encounter in the woods) I shot at the top two targets numerous times without swabbing. The rifle in the snow preformed perfect.

bison002a.jpg

I then moved the target back, all the way to the steel bullet trap. (since the shooting table is kind of frozen to the ground) At 60 yards, I only had three loads left to shoot off. (Those blue marked holes are old ones) That red bull stuck out like a sore thumb. I could see just traces of that red bull on all corners of the cross hairs.

To say I was happy with them three shots, was an understatement. Johnmorris told me about the Traditions 1x32mm scopes and for under $50.00 for the scope I had my doubts. But the scope gathers great light, very clear, and so far it has been taking all the pounding my Bison has been putting through it.

So loose powder, loaded for days, and a simple #11 ignition. So much for the fancy inlines. This old White with the hammer striker will still get it done for me. Muzzle loader season starts in a few days. I wonder what rifle to use?

For those that used their rifle, and are done for the year... did you clean and oil up those rifles?

It looks like you wouldn't have any problem with that particular gun! Good shooting and good luck to you Cayuga!

Your right,Dave! Good shooting! :) I agree,if properly loaded,and preped,ANY of the BP guns will perform well! I shoot my Pro Hunter the most,but if hunting in thick cover in the deep woods,my T/C Grey Hawk 54cal. side lock is the gun to carry. 90grs. of T7 and a PRB with a RWS#11 cap,and it will shoot as well as I can! :D It's a great choice for short range shooting, (75yds,and under)in heavy cover. A guy can't have too many guns,Ya Know :D ! Ron

yes cayuga my T/C ENCOURE is cleaned and oiled ...and put away in a safe place ...by the way saw ur targets nice shooting for an "old man"

Back