Today.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
was going to be the day that I hit the range to shoot my first couple rounds of smokeless with the Patriot rifle. I had BH209 weighed up as a sight-in powder and then a couple different smokeless powders at lighter levels just to tinker with it to get a feel for the gun and everything. All packed yesterday but then at 7 when I hit the door to go to the van I was smacked squarely in the face with about a 20mph blow right out of the east. The range at the club from the bench out to about 200 yards is as flat as a plate, probably no more than a foot of deviation in elevation in that distance and absolutely wide-open east to west. Finally getting a tolerable thaw and the wind comes up and rain is forecast a bit later today.

Our longer range temps forecast is for above normal temps for the next couple weeks, so I'll bide my time in the shop with some tackle projects until another warmer morning comes along. The warmer temps and the rain should settle the snow too so trodding out to hang targets should be a bit easier too if I wait. Still, I was really looking forward to the range time with the Patriot.

Just started the 20 week ETA for my patriot , should be here June/July . hopefully the weather will be nice when it arrives . What scope and mount are you using ?

Right now I have a 4X12X40 Bushnell with standard plex hairs on the gun because the one I ordered got back-ordered. The Bushnell was new in the box, never used. Not sure on the rings but they are very secure. I just want to get to the range to shoot the gun. When the other scope arrives I'll hang it and start over. The new scope is going to be a Vortex Diamondback 4X12X44, 30mm tube and I am going to use Leupold rings on the Patriot rail. I ordered the scope thru a local gun shop where I do the most of my gun/muzzy dealing. Been dealing there for years. Scope/bases, $379.00. His distributor was out of that one but assured him that getting one was not going to be a long term wait for me. I can wait a while at that price and I can still get to shooting the gun.

Moving into smokeless is a bit intimidating to me and I am just inching my way into it to begin. I am keeping it simple with sabots and .40 200 grain XTPs as they're cheap and accurate. By fall I hope to be doing sabotless. For now it's baby steps.

Last edited:
I went to the Patriot website. I looked at the weight, 5.5 lb. I would definitely be looking at very mild loads!! I agree. Keep it simple.

was going to be the day that I hit the range to shoot my first couple rounds of smokeless with the Patriot rifle. I had BH209 weighed up as a sight-in powder and then a couple different smokeless powders at lighter levels just to tinker with it to get a feel for the gun and everything. All packed yesterday but then at 7 when I hit the door to go to the van I was smacked squarely in the face with about a 20mph blow right out of the east. The range at the club from the bench out to about 200 yards is as flat as a plate, probably no more than a foot of deviation in elevation in that distance and absolutely wide-open east to west. Finally getting a tolerable thaw and the wind comes up and rain is forecast a bit later today.

Our longer range temps forecast is for above normal temps for the next couple weeks, so I'll bide my time in the shop with some tackle projects until another warmer morning comes along. The warmer temps and the rain should settle the snow too so trodding out to hang targets should be a bit easier too if I wait. Still, I was really looking forward to the range time with the Patriot.
I'll tell you what all the great shooters told me............. Shooting in bad weather or wind teaches.......... ;)

You may find sabots the way to go or vice-versa. With me, I tried sabotless but it wasn't for me. Everybody has got to find what works for them. Just take your time and get comfortable with it. You will find what works for you.

LBA.... I pick up my Kodiak .45 and thinks I'm going to hurt my back. Then the Accura seems almost light-weight. Then the Patriot and it feels like a feather. Hence the light loads to get my feet under me with it. My hunting shots are well within 100 yards as a rule, so I do not need blistering velocities or hot loads. Sabots are relatively painless and I'm comfortable with shooting them. I'm hoping to try the sabot-less by late summer, but my real confidence has always been with sabots.

I'm going to try the IMR 4198 @ 55 grains and the 5744 @ 40 grains to get started. Like this morning's 28 degrees, I am hoping to be able to shoot at that temp or lower to determine just how cold sensitive the IMR powder is. As per you suggestion I am going to grab a jug of N110 and try the load you suggested to start too, just after I have gotten some time with the first two powders. I have a ton of powder, several hundred of the XTP bullets and blue sabots, both regular and crush rib. And a couple thousand primers. As soon as I feel I have any and all the bugs worked out I plan to add the Fury, .40 cal 225 grain Star Tips to the bullet pile and compare them to the XTPs. A bit later this spring I have a friend with a chrono that will spend some mornings with my and this gun and do some more serious load development if needed.

I normally would agree Encore and under normal shooting conditions I am not bothered much by wind. I've shot in wind my whole life. I just don't want to have to deal with wind while getting the gun on paper. I enjoy following your exploits into the long-range shooting Encore, but I have no intentions of stepping into that arena.

Last edited:

Mr. Tom, I`m at the stage of life where I am trying to go lighter weight. As stated in some of my post I carried the CVA Acurra mr most of the past season. This will be very informative and also interesting. Please keep us posted on your range results as I know you will. Good luck with your endeavor .

MrTom,
I totally agree. Start with it at you own pace. Once you are comfortable with it. You will be like me and wonder why you didn't start with smokeless sooner.

Mr. Tom, I`m at the stage of life where I am trying to go lighter weight. As stated in some of my post I carried the CVA Acurra mr most of the past season. This will be very informative and also interesting. Please keep us posted on your range results as I know you will. Good luck with your endeavor .
jimyjac.... I have moderate lung disease and I hunt on some land that is unbelievably steep to get to my stand and can have to stop several times during the climb to huff and puff. Typically, I carry my V2 Accura, with a sling, to that stand and I don't encounter much for problems, but since I began carrying the Optima pistol up there that Accura the next day feels like 50 pounds of potatoes. Scoped, sling, the Accura is about 8-3/4 pounds. This Patriot rifle is seriously light-weight and I'd be amazed if it pushes 7 pounds scoped and loaded, with a sling. Here is some food for thought though.....

Until I came into my Patriot I knew nothing of the gun other than the mention of them here, but I feel safe in pointing out several facts here for you if you don't already know. The Patriot is made from machined steel. The barrels are top of the line with several options for you to choose from. There are several stock options. The big thing is it's AMERICAN made with a great warranty. Plus is very light in the hand: as LBA mentions, the average bare rifle weight is about 5.5 pounds. The gun is solid as a rock and its nitrided. The gun is made for YOU. Go to the Woodman Patriot website and read about the gun and then, by all means, contact Mark Woodman directly by phone and discuss the smokeless potential of the gun the way you want it built. Yes, there's a wait to receive the gun. Yes, at the price point the gun sells at its a bit pricey. BUT, the gun is YOUR gun, not one from a box store.

I have two minor concerns in starting to shoot this critter. One is getting from BH209 into smokeless. The other is recoil. But since I am GOING to do smokeless and since I am going to use lighter loads, I don't think I have a thing to worry about. I do know that if the gun doesn't perform, it is not the gun. Of that I am confident.

MrTom
I totally understand about the recoil. I have rhuemuthoid and psoriasic arthritis. With the mild loads I shoot, I can shoot all day with hardly no problems later on.
You may find sabots the way to go or vice-versa. With me, I tried sabotless but it wasn't for me. Everybody has got to find what works for them. Just take your time and get comfortable with it. You will find what works for you.

yeah , those folks shooting 1000 yards have guns that weigh a lot more and have great benches . "I do know that if the gun doesn't perform, it is not the gun. Of that I am confident." heck yes ! after i got burned by CVA , not being interested in traditions and wanting to stay with a break action and maybe too much reading the enabelers post here ...... the patriot is my choice . yep , talking to Mark is as easy as calling or sending a text and he's an active member on this forum .

i knew the 45 patriots were smokeless capable for mild loads , but i found out a few days ago in VA a smokeless muzzleloader cane be used during muzzleloading season . so now i feel i'm getting even more valure for the price :) . going smokeless will save money and make cleaning easier too .

BTW MrTom , just curious , why did you choose Marks rail and seperate rings over marks P30 mount ? i ordered his P1 mount to use with my DiamondbackHP 4x16-42 .

Last edited:
The gun came with the rail Jeff. It's super solid so not at all unhappy with it.

I have two minor concerns in starting to shoot this critter. One is getting from BH209 into smokeless. The other is recoil. But since I am GOING to do smokeless and since I am going to use lighter loads, I don't think I have a thing to worry about. I do know that if the gun doesn't perform, it is not the gun. Of that I am confident.
All I can offer is make sure your scope has real good eye relief. The one that bit me has 4” and still wasn’t enough with a stiff load of BH209.1BF927FE-9BA3-4CAE-B46F-633C4DCCCAB4.jpeg

And I thought yesterday was windy.....

LHR, I've gotten several of those little kisses over the years, mostly in the eyebrow. On this Patriot I have 4" of eye relief and hopefully will be enough. I tip the scale at around 245 right now so I don't move too easily. I should be fine.

You picture reminded me of years ago when I bought a pre-64 Winchester Safari Grade in .458 Magnum. Gun scoped, empties and loaded rounds along with dies and reloading goodies for it. Once I bought the gun it was amazing how many people I met in circles that hunted African game. One fella local that knew the party I bought the Winnie from had a .416 Rigby double and was slated to leave on a safari in a couple months suggested we meet at the local club and shoot. At that point I had shot the .458 once, at a telephone pole and yes penetration was in and out. The .416 was an English double gun with open sights. He showed up wearing his "shooting" vest that looked like he had a mattress doubled over in it. The guy was about the size I am today, I was of course a bit lighter in those days, maybe 165. The .458 wasn't what I thought was too bad for recoil so I never gave his gun a thought as I was busy target spotting for him and never really saw him during the recoil sequence. He asked if I wanted to try a shot and of course the gun looked really cool and I said sure. I had the gun broke open and was sitting at the bench when he handed me the round and I thought "wow, this sucker is long". I got settled in and found my comfort zone on the stock with my cheek and put the sight on the 50 yard target and squeezed. Apparently the stock design of those English guns don't handle recoil well. Neither did I. My thumb had smacked me squarely across the bridge of my nose and opening up a cut like the one above and when the barrel rode up it smacked me squarely in the forehead over the eye hard enough to close the eye with swelling. I did hit where I was aiming and I did manage to get off six shots with the .458 before I shot that double, but that thing was the worst of the worst I had ever shot.

I know how ya feel Mr.Tom, irks me when mother nature pisses in my post toasties.

Back