Tornado Brush

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I perfer the brass brush vs the tornado stainless steel brush, i think the SS brush is too aggressive for everyday cleaning.
I have been using brass brushes with lead solvents and thought it was doing the job but as the picture shows the brass brushes were not removing all that embedded lead. If I use cast ammo then the Tornado brush is used to remove the leading then followed up with a brass brush.

Last edited:
I believe ADVO9 was referring to the bronze tornado version they are a little harder to find but are good to have
By the looks of the pile of crud that the original poster got out of a couple short barrels, maybe he needed the little extra aggressiveness. Personally I wouldn't use the stainless model.

By the looks of the pile of crud that the original poster got out of a couple short barrels, maybe he needed the little extra aggressiveness. Personally I wouldn't use the stainless model.
My cleaning is done Very thoroughly using Hoppes and Shooters Choice lead remover, several other commercially available solvents and bronze brushes. I have these Tornado brushes to remove lead build up from cast bullets and it works very well at removing all that gunk with 2 passes. If those brushes caused any damage then Hoppes would continue to make and sell them for so many years?

I believe that the stainless steel Tornado Brush shown is perfectly safe to use, and use aggressively if you so choose, because it has no sharp whiskers like the typical bronze brush does, and is indeed a continuous coil filament. What I would not ever recommend is a standard whisker type stainless steel brush in .22 caliber. Those little steel whiskers are so short that they are quite stiff. (Bigger caliber steel brushes have more flexible whiskers because they are longer, but still should be used with caution.) I made the mistake of using one on a 14" .222 Rem. Contender barrel once that routinely shot 5 shot groups under 3/4" at 100 yds. After shooting it at a load-testing session and during cleaning, I made about 20 to30 passes back and forth with that brush, saturated with solvent, and when I pulled it out of the barrel, it looked like I had wrapped a bundle of steel wool on the brush. It scoured the barrel alright, wearing the rifling down maybe the same as firing 1000 rounds through it. I felt sick and sold it at the next gun show!

I believe ADVO9 was referring to the bronze tornado version they are a little harder to find but are good to have

I’ve not personally seen any Hoppe’s Torado brushes in bronze.

Not “arguing…” I just have never seen one.

Hoppe’s website doesn’t seem to have them, either… maybe they’re an older item(?).

If anyone runs across a link to a bronze Hoppe’s Tornado brush, I’d like to see it. 👍

Thanks!

Last edited:
I’ve not personally seen any Hoppe’s Torado brushes in bronze.

Not “arguing…” I just have never seen one.

Hoppe’s website doesn’t seem to have them, either… maybe they’re an older item(?).

If anyone runs across a link to a bronze Hoppe’s Tornado brush, I’d like to see it. 👍

Thanks!
I never said it was Hoppes and don't know who makes them but they are available

I've had a couple of the steel Tornado brushes for years that I used in smoothbores. Never seen a brass one; but then, I don't get around much any more.

I've used these Tornado bore brushes for years in my smooth bore shotguns after firing lead slugs with great results.

Latest posts

Back