Tosohatchee Visit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I just could not wait. So, I worked it out so I could head out to the hunting area. 
I had a few surprises and some good times. It is good I started scouting early.

Tosohatchee%201_zpsl8zczgqi.jpg

The first surprise was a patch on a bulletin board. I had stopped in to the rangers office to ask a couple questions. I had earned one just like it in the 1970s. 

Tosohatchee%202_zpsj5xuwc4p.jpg

Not only was the resident park biologist from Kentucky, but the park ranger was also from Kentucky. 
They were both named Tom. So, here I stood at the edge of a marshland in Florida in a small building filled with Kentuckians- two of which were named Tom. Needless to say, they gave me a hand.

They offered some equipment advise which I will share shortly.

When I left the office, I found the Check In Station. It is required that hunters check in and out each day whether they take game or not. It was in very nice shape and included a informational score sheet.

Tosohatchee%207_zpsisj7yjvk.jpg

Tosohatchee%206_zpsoecrchly.jpg

Next, I found a nice warning sign. I was not inclined to go swimming... But, it turned out to be very good advise. See the second photo.

Tosohatchee%205_zpsimyftydb.jpg

See the gator?

Tosohatchee%203_zpsbl93bnzu.jpg

Naw, me either. He saw me seeing him and scrammed. Those bubbles are where a very robust gator disappeared. I saw turkey, too.

Tosohatchee had a lot of wild fire that started as a controlled burn during the drought. These trees show evidence. Deer like these areas as the new growth is appealing. A lot of hunters will be headed to these areas. I'm inclined to avoid the other hunters and look for palmetto fruit and acorns and hope the other hunters move the deer to me. The biologist said to look for laurel oaks as those have the sweetest acorns. Hog rootings would also be a positive find.

Tosohatchee%204_zpsutfkb73f.jpg

The ranger recommended I upgrade my boots to LaCrosse Alphaburly boots for both water wading and snakes. I'll look into it. Both men recommended Thermacell mosquito repellers. I will be getting this. This is a very buggy place. Deep Woods Off was not fending off the onslaught today.

The amount of different and rough terrain in this area was remarkable. Since I altered my plan away from hiking trails after speaking to the rangers and my footwear was not up to the task of breaking trail, I did not get to the area I decided to explore. (The rangers gave me three areas to look at with good potential and not as much hunter crowding) But, I got a lot of good info and will be back soon.

I thought I advised you to get a Thermacell last year.

I quit hunting in Bow season and Turkey season about 15 years ago because of the bugs. After they invented the Thermacell, I started hunted those seasons again. Huge difference with it.

The trouble with the Alpha Burley boots is they are insulated and your feet roast. I buy LaCrosse Grange boots instead. They last about 3-4 years unless you don't hunt much. Then they'll last until they dry rot.

If you don't have an aluminum climbing stand, get one. Being 15+ feet up is the best way to see down into the thick stuff.

patocazador said:
I thought I advised you to get a Thermacell last year.

I quit hunting in Bow season and Turkey season about 15 years ago because of the bugs. After they invented the Thermacell, I started hunted those seasons again. Huge difference with it.

The trouble with the Alpha Burley boots is they are insulated and your feet roast. I buy LaCrosse Grange boots instead. They last about 3-4 years unless you don't hunt much. Then they'll last until they dry rot.

If you don't have an aluminum climbing stand, get one. Being 15+ feet up is the best way to see down into the thick stuff.
My new thermalcell arrives in a day or two. You did tell me. I got lucky with the bugs last year 
and let it slip my mind.

I have a terrific pair of high, old style. leather, black military boots that I got from my dad. 
I was able to move well with them where I was last year. I'll need to try on the LaCrosse boots 
as I am a sasquatch. (you are right. I don't want any insulation down here.) My leather boots 
will not get me where I want to go this time.

You pushed me over the top on the climbing tree stand. I looked at that terrain and thought I 
would be best high. I am not over fond of heights and am a large fella. I am looking at the Sumit 
Titan SD. I don't like the price, but I like going splat even less. 

Titan_zpsvmghp7p8.jpg

I am definitely open to options. I won't go up in anything under a 350 lbs rating. (No, I am not 350 lbs.) 
I need to be able to hike in with it and put it up quietly. 

BTW, I looked at the safety training video from Sumit. It just about put me off the whole idea. "If you do this... you die. If you don't do this... you die. If you don't do it fast enough... you die. Oh, and you will likely be maimed if you don't die."

"I need to be able to hike in with it and put it up quietly. 

BTW, I looked at the safety training video from Sumit. It just about put me off the whole idea. "If you do this... you die. If you don't do this... you die. If you don't do it fast enough... you die. Oh, and you will likely be maimed if you don't die."

I've been hunting out of treestands since Mr. Baker invented the first one in '76 or '77 and I haven't been killed or maimed yet. I always used a safety belt and still do.

The stands nowadays are much bulkier and heavier than they used to be. That's why you need to get an aluminum one. They cost more but pay for themselves on the first 2 mile hike in with one. I bought 2 lightweight ones from Cabela's on sale for $89 each back in 1988. I still hunt out of them. I hate the new ones because they're heavy and awkward.

Buy a good cable and lock for it too so you can leave it on the tree overnight without it getting stolen. I put mine down as low as it can go on the tree and pile dead branches on it. Then I cut palmetto fans and stick them into the ground to hide it. They can't steal it if they can't see it.

The temperature has been 98F down here so I have been stalling. But, today, it 
was only 83F at noon and there was a light rain.

I figured it won't get any cooler here till January so I jumped in the Explorer and started 
on my planned scout and cam placement. The rain let up, but stayed overcast. It did not get above 85F. 
But, I still was soaked with sweat by the time I got out. The big rain hit right as I was 
driving out.

Bugs, bugs, bugs. Big bugs, little bugs, and everything in between. I had to use my walking stick to knock down the seriously large forest spider webs they have in Florida. Seriously, there were at least three kinds. We have hit the time of year where they fill the edges of forests and trails with large silk webs. 

I don't have an insect phobia, but it is creepy and unpleasant to walk into one. Here is a shot of one of my friends...
aj5FlC.jpg

Banana Spider

Yeah... many really were that big. But, the mosquitos and ticks were also out in full force despite changing to Repel repellant and carrying an active Thermacell. Thank God I had them both. There were places the bugs were so thick I had to breathe through my teeth to keep from inhaling them.

Here is the State Trail I followed part of the way...

BXV6rH.jpg

A State Park trail in Tosohatchee

Yes. That is a trail. I am standing on/in it. The water went on behind me, too. I like my new boots!

(I need to go fetch my wife from the airport. I will need to finish this when I get back.)

You had better get used to the spider webs in your face when walking in/out in the dark. Take a real hot shower when you get home to knock the ticks off you. They like armpits, waistband and um, uh, scrotum areas.
Wash your clothes and put them in the dryer on HOT. That will kill them. Cold doesn't bother ticks, they just go dormant.

Look for islands with live oaks and long-leaf (yellow) pines. These areas usually stay dry and the outside edges are the best places to see deer. These islands are shady and, therefore, cooler but they attract mosquitoes during the middle of the day. If you are stationary in these hammocks, you will be eaten alive by mosquitoes unless you have your Thermacell working.

Try to find a good spot about 1-2 miles from the nearest parking area. Most hunters won't go more than 3/4 mile from their truck but the deer will after the "invasion" starts. Also stay away from anyplace where airboats can access. They run these places at night and poach like crazy.

bxb9nV.jpg

Life Size Taken Today by Another BP Enthusiast Friend

Yeah... About that.... I am wearing my camo head and neck cover that I usually would use for turkey... on the way in at night. 

FYhQxd.jpg

Makeshift Anti-Spider Camo

I did not see islands on my map where I was going. I did hear one airboat. It seemed to be high ground, wetland/swamp, or water. Its a big park. I can try to scout for that later if the game pics from my first try fail to yield promising results.. 

I stripped, searched, bathed, and did the clothes as you described as soon as I got in the door. I found two different species of tick. They all died a horrific death. We have ticks in Kentucky. We have a standing feud.

I went about 1.25 miles in rough going. I had difficulty finding definitive game trails. But, I found oak, palmetto, and a running stream along a forest break into a clearing with BONUS... a patch of new growth from fire.

HLDEYu.jpg

Running Creek Near the Forest Line Break

I purposely went north to avoid the main burn because I felt a lot of hunters would congregate there.  Apparently a small area was burned further north than the rangers remembered. I saw evidence of browsing on the tenderest new growth. 

Tell me what you think...

PGpBPq.jpg

Taken facing south

The tree line has the stream behind it. So, is it as promising as I hope? 
That is the $50,000.00 question.

The prevailing wind during most of hunting season is from the NE so somewhere in that small cluster of cabbage palms in the back left corner could be a good spot for either rifle or muzzleloader. Find one big enough to support your climber and get up to a height where you can see into the woods behind you and to the left (right in the photo).
If the stream is navigable by an airboat, forget that spot. There is H2O everywhere in Fla. so setting up near water is only good for hunting hogs on 100 deg. days.

You want spots that other hunters don't have the cajones to get to.

PS: no deer is worth $50,000. ;)

PM sent.

Good stuff. Thanks. A lot to think about. No way an airboat can get up that stream. 

I'll retrieve the cameras and think out my next move. I'm not certain about other hunter's 
cajones here. There are a LOT of easier spots to get to, but no. This spot is not so bad-azz that 
others simply won't go there. How does one measure that, anyway? :lol: Never mind.

If it turns out the cams prove the place is crawling with deer? I will likely try it. If not, I will find a tougher, better place. 

BTW, I saw two deer on the way out near the entrance of the park. They were in the power line break. The one I could see best was quite good size. Both their coats were a little lighter colored than normal.

Roger PM. Thanks.

There ain't enuff $$$$$ in any Texas bank to make me want to go into that jungle!! :affraid: :x :face:

Back