Traditions Kentucky Long Rifle .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LR

Reaction score
My first build.  Nothing special and it certainly does not compare to the builds I have seen on this forum.  I should be so lucky to be a skilled as some of the members on here.  But even so, I am still proud of it and it's accurate for hunting. 
26H4lp1.jpg

I was out at the range putting some Hornady PA Conicals through it as Colorado decided that a .50 PRB isn't enough to kill an elk. 

As I am just learning the ropes, what is a good site-in-distance for a muzzle loader.  I won't shoot a critter past 100 yards and that is my personal limitation, some may be able to shoot farther.  Right now, with both PRB's and the PAC's, I can consistently hit a small coffee can at 100 yards.  I feel that this would suggest that its minute of deer/elk easily.  But I welcome any criticism and advice.

vgSpXV1.jpg

I went with a lighter colored stock.  I used some Behren's stain wash to bring out the grain and then finished it with some tru-oil.  I also went with a plum-brown blueing procedure rather than the traditional look.  The brass was all hand aged over a period of a few weeks by brushing a vinegar solution onto the pieces.  The picture doesn't quite do it justice, so please don't be too brutal.

eRACFhc.jpg

For some reason, the state of Colorado has decided that the projectile on the left isn't enough to kill and elk, so I have to resort to using the projectile on the right.  It bums me out to no end.  So much so, that I have plans for a .54 build in the future so that I can use PRB's.  Eventually I will also build a .32 for small game use. 

Thanks for taking the time to read through my post.  I haven't been on this forum but for a minute, and I can say that I absolutely enjoy reading all of the awesome information here.

Yeah after 50 some odd years they became educated and figured out the .50cal round ball is actually .49cal and then outlawed it. I guess the .52 and .53call round balls that exist are not enough either, so now its 54cal minimum. Got to love the educated folks.

Im happy to hear that the 1:66 twist is handling those PA Conicals! You got extremely lucky!

Good looking rifle! As you build more and more, you pick up little tricks here and there and the next one goes easier.

Looks good. I know I would hate to be hit with a .50 prb. They make BIG holes in things.

Thanks.  I plan on ordering my Traditions Crockett Rifle kit tomorrow in .32.  This will be my go-to small game rifle once it's finished.  It's odd that I have always been fascinated with muzzle loading but never got the bug, well the bug has bit me hard and I find more pleasure shooting traditional muzzle loaders than I do just about anything else these days.

FrontierGander said:
Yeah after 50 some odd years they became educated and figured out the .50cal round ball is actually .49cal and then outlawed it. I guess the .52 and .53call round balls that exist are not enough either, so now its 54cal minimum. Got to love the educated folks.

Im happy to hear that the 1:66 twist is handling those PA Conicals! You got extremely lucky!

Good looking rifle! As you build more and more, you pick up little tricks here and there and the next one goes easier.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the greatest of accuracy by any means.   I would much rather shoot a PRB!  I need to do some more refining in my load for the PA Conicals.  They are made for a 1:66 twist.  I think with a little more practice, they should work.

hey if they are accurate enough to hit an elk at 100 yards, thats all you need.

You will love the Crockett , mine is very accurate and so easy to carry and fun to shoot.
32_cro11.jpg

So right now I am pushing the Hornady 240gr PA conical with 90-95gr of Pyrodex-FFG.  Is there any other powder that I should look at that would work better?  Should I be lighter or heavier on my charge?  My rifle has a 1:66 twist.  My accuracy is good as I get about a 4" group at 100 yards....at least I think that's good for that rifle.  But I am also thinking that possibly changing either powder or charge weight may get me better accuracy.  Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I would much rather use a PRB, but I cannot with this rifle due to Colorado's stupid laws....

I noticed that my CCI 11 caps fit very loose on the nipple.  Are these the correct caps?  Should I change the nipple?  I have found that if I am not careful, the cap may fall off.  Any help will be appreciated.

You can usually pinch loose caps just a bit before installing them to make them fit tighter . Some brands are bigger then others.

I have pinched caps before.  This has helped.  I just didn't know if anyone has had this issue with the Traditions OE nipples and if I should change mine out.

traditions caps normally are a  little on the smaller size due to the metric system. The german rws caps i believe fit a little more snug.

I am also looking for a no drill/ no modify sling that is period correct or period style for this rifle.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for the link.  That's what I was looking for.

I’ve used the same one Pete does from October Country on a recommendation from Jonathan if I remember correctly?  Anyway, it works fine but I’ve been wanting to get another style I’ve seen that doesn’t cover up so much of the stock. It’s more of a material with a loop on each end. One goes around the barrel & the other around the wrist of the stock. As far as “period correct”, I have no idea and don’t pay any attention to that stuff.

Back