Traditions Sporter 209 Mag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dad bought one of these off of a friend of his that was in need of money and did not do any research. Paid too much for it and now mom is mad to say the least. He has been unable to get this thing to shoot so he has handed it off to me since I have more time to play with it. So today i got it out and started firing away. Powder is T7 3F, bullets are 300 gr. Shockwaves in supplied sabots and primers are nobel. First thing i have to say is that the trigger sucks but looks to be adjustable. Next thing is that this powder and primer comob is really clean. I can't feel any crud ring at all when I swab. On to the shooting I fought with this gun for close to two hours and was ready to call his scope junk it's the (traditions supplied scope) when I realized that the stock to barrel retaining bolt was not tight. Most likely the reason my shots kept walking and had absolutly no repeatabilty. I will try again.

Hornet22savage

I really know nothing about a Traditions so really can not help you much but I really think you are on the right track getting things tighten up.

Does it have open sights on it? If so you might try them @ 25 yards and see what kind of group you might get... That might tell you something.

It does have open sights, but the scope would have to come off to use them which at this time would not be a problem since it's not sighted in. I was going to give it one more go with the scope since i tightned up the stock and see. If thigs are still floating around I will remove the scope and go open sights to see if its the gun or scope. I have some Speer 300 gr. soft points I'm going to use them and save his shockwaves.

Hornet22savage said:
It does have open sights, but the scope would have to come off to use them which at this time would not be a problem since it's not sighted in. I was going to give it one more go with the scope since i tightned up the stock and see. If thigs are still floating around I will remove the scope and go open sights to see if its the gun or scope. I have some Speer 300 gr. soft points I'm going to use them and save his shockwaves.

from here... sounds like a good plan.

Try 80-90gr T7 2F or Pyrodex with 240gr XTP's in a green CR sabot or whatever sabots you have on hand for the .44 Cal XTP's.

I can not say that I ever heard of a Traditions Sporter 209 rifle. So I will guess this is an inline rifle with an open breech. Also that the rifle has a 1-28 twist and a 24 inch barrel with one locking lug on the bottom.

Make sure all the scope mounts are tight. Next when you set the lug set it tight, but do not crank it down as hard as you can.

Start your testing at 25 yards. Start with 80 grains of Triple Seven 3f powder. If all you have is shockwaves, they will work fine. Be sure to swab the barrel between shots. Just aim dead center bull no matter where they hit, and shoot three shot. Now you can make a minor adjustment to the scope if you like. Have it hit dead center.

If this group is good and tight, you could move back to 50 yards. If not, kick the powder charge up to 90 grains and try it all over again. There has to be a sweet load.

Although to be very honest, a rifle I was shooting today, which is normally very accurate, was giving me fits. I am not sure if it was the heat, or the fact I was at the end of a powder can, or even that I changed powder. But it was shooting three inches high for some reason.

One thing I should mention. Some rifles HATE Triple Seven powder. And the 3f might even make it worse. Before you give up on the rifle, get a pound of Pyrodex RS and try that in the rifle.

The Sporter 209 Mag is the rifle before the Tracker 209. Toady I started bt adjusting the trigger pull and sear engagement. It is better now by ten fold. I stated off by undoing all of the adjustments I did last week and loaded up 100 gr. of T7 3F, it's what my dad shoots. A speer 300 gr. .452 flatpoint in a MMP HPH 24 and let her fly. Shooting way left. Second shot after swabbing was still left but by not as much say close by 3 inches. I made an adjustment, swabbed and fired. Still left by nine inches made another adjustemnt and the shot went way right again by eight inches. At this tme i threw my hands up and went down to 25 yds. made an adjustment and fired 1.5 inches right. Loaded again no swabbing and fired same POI. So the gun does group yay. Made another sdjustment and fired again at 25 no swabbing dead center. Now I just need to get a grip from the bench. All 25 yrd shots were stting. This is not a bad gun to shoot.

Played around with this more today and finally got some good news. After my 25 yd, shots last week i moved back out to 100 and the first two shots were about 14 inches high but touching. I made an adjustment and now its about 3-4 inches high at 100. and a little right. Only had time for three shots. About how fast do all of you think a 300 gr. flat nose is moving aut of a 22" barrel if its driven by 100 gr. T7 3F?

Hornet22savage said:
About how fast do all of you think a 300 gr. flat nose is moving aut of a 22" barrel if its driven by 100 gr. T7 3F?

Fast enough to easily take any whitetail up to 150 yds. :D

I don't know anything about 3F, so I can't give an estimate on speed.

Hornet, I used FFFG T7 in a Remington Youth .50 with a 21" barrel. A 250gr PTX clocks 1908fps with 120grs FFFG T7 and 1980fps using 130grs. I can't imagine you breaking into the 1700's using a 300 gr bullet and 100gr FFFG T7. Hey! I thought you were getting a Master Beta?? It would sure put all this to rest. Good Shooting!

I had one given to me cause the guy doesn't like muzzleloaders. It was given to him. But anyways take the scope off its junk the sights are way better I prefer the iron sight over the scope

Proctor55 said:
I had one given to me cause the guy doesn't like muzzleloaders. It was given to him. But anyways take the scope off its junk the sights are way better I prefer the iron sight over the scope
The post is over 4 years old , i doubt the guy still has that gun

Actually my Dad still has the gun however he was upgraded last X-mas to a MK-85 in .54 cal. We did find that the sights are better than the included scope. Thank for the advice.

Latest posts

Back