Traditions trapper and Lyman Plains pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl52

Reaction score
Any of you own both or have any opinions of these 2 pistols. Like the looks of both of theses pistols just wondered if one had better features than the other. Al

I have heard good things about the Lyman and only bad things about the Trapper.

T/C's Patriot looks a lot like the Trapper but it is a fine gun if you don't stress the stock too much. Mine shoots round balls and REALs very accurately.

I have had  patriot before and got rid of it. I know of one for sale in the 500.00 dollar range which seems to be the going price for one. I did like the one I had just went thru that phase where all of the BP guns I had went up for sale and now I wish I hadnt of sold them. Al

You can get them cheaper if you're willing to watch and wait. I bought mine from Carlos about 3 years ago for $350. It's in like new condition.

I have both, Al. If you want to stop over my place, you can see and handle them both.

The flintlock Trapper is the more attractive pistol with all the brass on it and a nice grain to the wood. However, I find the reach to the trigger too long for my smallish hands. I have to shift the pistol to set the trigger, then shift back to reach the trigger.
e9jQNs.jpg

Rc4cLi.jpg

k2qJKM.jpg

t33tzT.jpg

Trapper on left and Patriot on right:
M0gDmV.jpg

The Plains pistol is, well, plain. It probably is a more accurate rendition of what the fur traders carried. Mine is a percussion. The reach to the trigger is much more comfortable for me. I don't have any photos of the Plains pistol up on a image server, so I didn't include any photos here. If you like, I will take a few photos and post them for you.

Both shot very accurately, with the Trapper having a slight edge with the 4 balls I put through it.

I'll probably get rid of the Trapper because it just doesn't fit my hand and will keep the Plains pistol because it does fit.
Ron

Back