Triple 7 FFg vs. FFFG

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uptracker

Reaction score
Can anybody help with the big differences?

(Sorry, the title should read FFFg)

OK, this is what I got off the website:

FFg: Hodgdon?s revolutionary granulated muzzleloading propellant that cleans up with water alone. Contains no sulfur, so there are no strong smells and clean-up is a breeze. Triple Seven granulated powder is intended for use in shotguns and rifles, 45 caliber and larger, as well as cartridges.

FFFg: The same great powder as FFG with smaller grain size and it is intended for use in pistols and rifles of 50 caliber and smaller. Easy clean-up with this one - just like standard Triple Seven.

Do you guys reccomend one over another for .50 cal rifle shooting? I'm sort of thinking just FFg.

FFFg has smaller granules and per volume will give more velocity than FFg.

I would say start with FFg, simply because around here FFFg isn't as easy to come by, might be different elsewhere. I have had great results with the FFg in my Omega.

However in a shorter barreled Knight Wolverine (22in?) I use FFFg, just because I'm hoping to get a little more velocity than FFg. But I would use FFg if I didn't have the FFFg and still sleep well at night.

That's a lot of fffffff's I just typed!

:lol: I was thinking the same thing....try saying FFg FFFg 5 times fast!

Thanks for the insight.

If I am shooting conicals, I like the 3f powder better. For sabots the 2f works just fine. There is a little difference in the velocity produced when you compare the two powders, but it is not as much as you might think.

With the small grain size, 3f might get a little better ignition, but with the 209 ignition system it is not something we would notice I believe..

If I'm Shooting My 54 Cal. Percussion Cap , I use FFFg but 10gr lower than FFg . I like it because seems to burn cleaner and have more velocity and easier clean up.

I shoot FFg in My MK85 and have been doing a lot of bullet and load testing lately. I have been able to get some great groups this last week using both 240 grain and 300 grain XTP bullets in a Harvester Green Crush Rib Sabot over 85 to 95 grains of FFg using the 209 FPJ for ignition. I think you can work up a great load with either powder just pick one and do some testing with charge and be consistent with loading technique. Using the above load, I have never had a crud ring in this gun. Good luck with your load development.

Using the above load, I have never had a crud ring in this gun. Good luck with your load development.
You never mentioned your swabbing or barrel cleaning routines at the range - no mention of breechplug - nor did you mention if using caps or 209 primers for ignition.

Mr. Crud Ring lives by some of those things mentioned above. He especially loves hot 209 primers and OEM breechplugs of most inline manufacturers.

Breech plug is the factory MK85 plug. I use both CCI and Winchester T7 209 Primers depending on what's available. I do not swab between shots with this load and as of yet have never needed to. I shot a string of 12 rounds yesterday with no difficulty in loading or any sign of a ring. I have owned a couple of TC Omegas and using the exact same loads had to scrub a crud ring out every time I shot them.

Wow who is digging up these old posts.

A lot of times the Forum setup encourages it, by linking to “similar threads,” at the end of the one you’re reading.

So I’ll see one, and read it. It links to another, ad infinitum. Pretty easy to go down that rabbit hole!

As I’m reading this thread today, all of the “similar threads” displayed are from 2023, but that’s unusual, in my experience.

As long as i am interested in the info/Thread i read n reread. Sides the wind is ripping outside this morning n rain showers heavy at times. So its reading time. 2f vs 3f i let my rifle choose what it likes. Really does not matter anymore for me, i can barely see a gallon bucket at 50 yards with open sights now. I have been bent because of large group size, but its me n me eyes. I don't plan on getting glasses at almost 74 years old to see with. Think i will get every ML i have D&T for scope mounts.

Latest posts

Back