Triple 7, which primer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevyod

Reaction score
So I have been reading a lot about the crud ring that some get with the T7 powder. I got a lb to try, the FFFg stuff. What is a cooler burning primer that will help lessen the crud ring? I do figure I need to run a damp patch between shots to help with that...damp with what? Solvent?
And am I right that any 209 primer will work? My local gun store had some CCI 209's but they wanted 18.99 per 100. I think I recall seeing some Cheddite 209 primers elsewhere that were cheaper.

Muzzleloader specific primers are supposed to reduce the amount of crud ring, I never noticed much difference between those and regular shotshell primers. I use windex dampened patch for swabbing.

Muzzleloader specific primers are supposed to reduce the amount of crud ring, I never noticed much difference between those and regular shotshell primers. I use windex dampened patch for swabbing.
“Crud ring” developes for me no matter the primer or cap (#11 or musket or 209) with T7…I use winter deicer windshield fluid on patch, seems to dry out faster than windex.
crud ring developes even with real black powder in my slow twist heavy powder charge guns…right at the base of the bullet or ball…wet patch is the only way to deal with it. Best to over wet a patch than “stick“ your rod in the barrel..easier to dry out the barrel than to remove a stuck jag or rod.
Swabbing is just part of muzzleloading…that’s why you need a decent range rod with some sort of muzzle crown protector…

Back