Which "ML" 209 Primer gives the cleanest burn with Triple 7 ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdaws

Reaction score
federal-federal-209-muzzleloader-primer-100-pk.pngRemington primers.jpgWinchester Primers .png

Has anyone studied this objectively? I see lots of comments if I do a search but nothing definitive. I have steered clear of the specialized ML primers because I heard comments that they were garbage. Now, I am going to be using T7 permanently because I am tired of looking for BH209 plus I don't want to pay inflated BH prices. I want to do something about the excessive crud ring in my Omega.

• Are the "ML" 209's worth the money, here in Canada they seem to be twice the price of the CCI's or Winchesters that I normally use.
  • Do they work? Which of the "ML" 209's is the most reliable and which gives the cleanest bore.
  • Which of them gives the best accuracy
  • Has anyone done a comparative study that they would care to share.
It's all academic really because the only ones that I can find near to where I live are the federals but I would like to know. Anyone got some input that they care to share?

Has anyone done a comparative study that they would care to share.
You’ll likely get some opinions, but I’d be really surprised if anyone’s done a comprehensive study. I’ve never seen it. Too many variables.

I believe fouling levels may be influenced by a multitude of factors. Primer type, powder type and charge/bullet weight are likely the biggest. Others that may also have a greater or lesser effect: environmentals, bore condition, plug type, plug condition, fouling, lube, wad, bore dimensions, bullet type/fit and barrel length.

All that said, the biggest difference in fouling I’ve seen with 777, is by using a #11 cap. Variflame may be the next best (I haven’t tried it).

IMO and I'm not sure if its right or not but I think the ML specific primers were just hype to get people to think they need them for their muzzleloaders so they could increase the price. The claim was that with a regular or magnum primer the bullet jumped from the primer going off because they were hotter. Honestly if you think about it you're only talking less than a milisecond for the primer to ignite the charge and start the bullet down the barrel. How much can that bullet move in that time. I personally never went for that and never bought or used muzzleloader specific primers. I shot CCI, Winchester standard 209 and Federal 209A without issue.
Most of us older folk have been around long enough to see through all the smoke and mirror gimmicks out there. The hunting industry as a whole is very competitive. And if you look at all the stuff today that you "need" for a successful hunt you need an ATV with a trailer to haul it around! Exaggeration of course but you get my point. When I started hunting you took your license, gun, knife, drag rope, an apple and a sandwich and you were good for the day. As for water you either drank right from a spring or ate snow. Life was so much simpler back then!

Last edited:
I have no data to list other than like the rest. I just this n that until it gets too wanky n i get bent about it. I have used the Win. 209-777 in my T/C Black Diamond .50 cal using Goex 3 F. This last round i have used T7 with CCI 209 & a 75 gr loads under sabot & 230 gr XTPs, no crud ring in bore or on my BP. That is all i have tried, no problems.

Primer_Strength.jpg

With a Knight DISC, primer adapter, bare primer BP, and vent liner I did shoot a range session with T7 primers. No problem at all. But... that was in spring weather. I really do not know what might happen in really cold weather when it came to reliability.

Well I stand corrected. Thanks guys. Just one question now though. Is a ML specific prime hot enough to reliably ignite BH209?
Ive been using Federals ML209s 209MZ with bh209 for several months in Knight UL and CVA Accura with zero failures so far. I won’t say for certain tho til I shoot them thru the late winter.

Last edited:
Ive been using Federals ML209s with bh209 for several months in Knight UL and CVA Accura with zero failures so far. I won’t say for certain tho til I shoot them thru the late winter.

Are you using the “Newer” Federal 209MZ primers (developed for the FireStick) or the “Older” Federal 209ML primers as shown by the OP?

Well I stand corrected. Thanks guys. Just one question now though. Is a ML specific prime hot enough to reliably ignite BH209?
Dag nabbit! And here I thought I was going strong without a mistake in 2023! I would have beat my record if I would have made it to September!!!
Anyway I found my answer to my own question regarding ML specific priers right from the BH209 site. Check it out.
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/

Back