Triple 7...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Com 45acp

Reaction score
I want to try Triple 7 loose powder this year. My question is what is the difference between FFG and FFFG Triple 7?

The difference is the granulation or granule size. FFFG is a finer powder, has more surface area and therefore burns faster.

I use FFG for saboted guns and FFFG for conicals.

FFFg will also increase barrel pressures a little more then the FFg. So keep that in mind when you work up loads. While the difference is not all that great, there is a difference. Start your loads about 10% less then what you normally would have with the FFg grade.

What's perferred depends on what I am shooting. If I am shooting conicals, then I like the FFFg. For sabots and roundball I like the FFg.

What's perferred depends on what I am shooting. If I am shooting conicals, then I like the FFFg. For sabots and roundball I like the FFg.

That's been my experience also. I suspect the FFFg gives the conicals a quick pressure bump that expands them quickly into the grooves.

FFg gives me better groups with sabots.

I bought fffg triple 7 by mistake,shooting Barnes SBT 245 gr. group was at 100 yards 5/8" for 3 bullets group.

The only problem I found with fffg,they react to humidity,and just the primer start after a second primer it fired on.
Could I mix fffg with ffg to use it or discard it?
Taureau noir

I know that duplex powder loads are never recommended. I don't have the "stones" to do it anyway.

Others may beg to differ, but they are not the ones pulling the trigger on your gun etiher.

Back