Triple Seven Longevity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flati

Reaction score
How long should you use a can of Triple Seven powder? I have had a can for several years now keeping it sealed tight in my gun safe (without a dehumidifier) but have been told that I should shoot it up or replace it by season's end. I have to admit, I haven't been able to get consistant groups with my Encore or even groups less than 3" or so and I'm wondering if new powder will cut my groups in half. I do plan to eventually switch to Black horn 209 but its tough to find in my area without driving over an hour. The cost isn't too appealing either.

triple 7 longevity

I seriously doubt that a new can of triple seven would improve your group size. I have some Pyrodex RS that was purchased in 1992 & still delivers group size that it did when it was brand new. And my Triple 7 loose powder & pellets are at least 8 years old and deliver the same consistent performance as it did when new. And talk about Cost.....I went around to Walmart stores & Dick's Sporting goods looking for "DEALS" that I have been reading about on this venue & almost had a heart attack when I saw Dick's was asking $33.95 a can for Triple Se7en loose. Actually, that is more than I paid for my last 2 cans of BH209!!!!!!!!!!!! Wally World had the three 7's marked down from $23.?? to $19.97 I am REALLT disappointed in WalMarts. I spend my summers from April until late November in NW lower Michigan & winter in SE lower MI....and I can't find a Walmart that carries any Firearms and especially Blackpowder supplies. The one I visited in Chesterfield Twp. to day had one small shelf w/A few cards of various PowerBelts and the new Hornady FPB bullets(originally priced $18.95 down to $15.00) and maybe a dozen cans of Pyrodex & Triple 7..........and that was it. The half dozen stores I visited , both in Northern MI & down here had NADA, NIX, ZILCH nothing for the muzzleloader as far as I am concerned. Is this just Michigan or is WalMart doing this nation-wide???? During the summer I assumed by Fall they would re-stock empty shelves, but NOPE, they still didn't which really surprised me.

Hmmmm...just wonderin????

Art Sehnke :cry:

The only place I could find the Blackhorn was Cabelas and it was $39.99 for a 10 oz. can. :shock: I wish I could find someone on here that sells it for a good price providing the shipping isn't too harsh for it being a hazardous material.

flati said:
The only place I could find the Blackhorn was Cabelas and it was $39.99 for a 10 oz. can. :shock: I wish I could find someone on here that sells it for a good price providing the shipping isn't too harsh for it being a hazardous material.
Where do you live, the Scheels sporting goods chain here in the midwest has it. $29.99

Art

IL Wally Worlds are the same way! Rural King has a small isle of CVA rifles and some T/C supplies. The powder is WAY too expensive and no 209s or caps.

Luckily gas is cheaper now, so I can talk the Princess's into a "shopping" trip to KY or MO to load up on supplies.

For the OP, I have five cans of GORTEX BP in 2-4 f and they are about 7 years old and they shoot great also. No special storage messures. I'm leery of folks blaming propellant as their problams, but it goes happen. I had a jar of Pyrodex that went "bad" after too much humidity caused several hangfires and misfires in my older Renegade. Switched and it cured it.

flati

Same here. Hope that Shooter's Supply in KY carries it. BPS has it for $34.99 in St Louis.

Jerry

My walmart used to carry a good assortment of guns and shooting supplies, not anymore its a shame

Its all about storage, once you open a can of powder moisture gets in. I have several cans of T7 and still use it in my Whites with no problems and two dead bucks this year. If I ever notice any change in the performance I just use up the rest of the powder in the shotgun, it will still go off and kill small game. My 2 cents...

I wouldn't be storing my powder in a gun safe. Main reason being that the safe will try to contain the pressure if the powder is ignited. This sounds like what you want , BUT , by containing the pressure you are building much more pressure and your safe can become a bomb. That is why you never see stores keeping their powder in sealed metal containers. Its always stored in a cabinet of some type that will not allow pressures to build.

flati;
Midway, USA in Missouri sells Blackhorn 209 for $29.95. I think they are near Columbia, but I am not sure, but your best best is to hook up with some other Muzzleloaders in your area and buy in bulk. The first time I bought 2 cans (my buddy has an FFL license) and we bought a case among 4 guys, and I went thru those cans in a hurry. He bought his from MidSouth at the $29.95 price and when we split tax & haz. mat fee, it came to about $33.00 a can. My other alternative was to drive 45 miles to Jay's in Clare, MI and pay 37.95 a can plus the gas at that time was costing $4.30 a gallon so I figgered that can was costing about $50.00. There was another place that appeared in these posts , I think it was called Powder Valley Shooters Supply that was only charginging $25.95 for BH209, but I don't remember where it was located geographicly. If you like to shoot more than once a year, I would reccomend buying more than one can at a time.
Art :wink:

Art,

Actually MidwayUSA has the best price right now, it has been on sale for $24.99 all month. If you want it at that price you better hurry because the sale ends December 31, 2008. Powder Valley is actually about $1 higher right now.

If you buy a case right now, you save $50 off regular price, and with haz-mat and shipping it would work out to about $27.99 per container to your door step.

Hurry guys, if you want the deal. This powder is drop shipped from Western, you can order up to 48 pounds of powder for the same $20 haz-mat and $9.99 shipping fee.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=820615

Triple 7 longevity

Busta: Thanks much for the Heads up price alert on the Midway/BH209.
Gonna see if'n I can get an order placed.

It seems that there will be a small price increase for Blackhorn 209 from Midway next month. The price this year had been $29.99 but the January flyer has it listed for $31.49.

I have several pounds of Triple seven that is four years old and still shoots the same POI in my rifles.

Triple 7 Longevity

Today I received my new Natchez Shooters Supply Catalog for 2009. Prices good January 1, thru March 31., 2009. On page 57 , lower right corner thay list a NEW product......Blackhorn 209 for $26.99. So now we have another source and, at a better price than most places. But of course then we must include the DREADED HAZMAT FEE!!!!!!

Yeah, but if you buy 5 cans of BH209 it's still cheaper than Cabelas or Bass Pro even with the HAZMAT fee.

Back