Triumph + ??? = good elk medicine???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duxndogs

Reaction score
My TC Triumph will be here very soon. I need to get up to speed ASAP for an upcoming elk hunt. Would love to hear some bullet/sabot combos that have worked for you. I plan to only shoot BH209...well that's the plan anyway.

load

well --
what youll find here is alot of great help from a lot of great
folk. i was in the same boat a while back and got some great advice
blackhorn 209 @100-120gr.
winchester209 primer - shotshell
mmp#24sabots-- to load these easier
barnes 300mz or
barnes290 tmz
later i want to try the hornady fpb s to get away from sabots
but for now on this hunt this is what ill use
both produced excellent groups at 100 and acceptable at 200
it shoots better than me!
ther will be other combinations forthcoming
but these got me up to speed fast!

Unless you are using the new flat base TMZ bullets from Barnes, you will want to stick with the supplied sabot, they are designed for the boat tail bullets. I don't think you would have good results with the MMP HPH24 sabots. However you could go with bonded shockwaves and the HPH24 sabots.

Hey DnD,
My Omega will be stuffed with either 290 TMX in factory form or the 300 Bonded Shockwave in the short Harvester sabot. They will be propelled b 120 gr of BH209 that is iginted by a Win 209 primer. Both of these setups are giving me sub MOA at 200 yards, so I think I can hit an elk at that distance. It will still have ~1500 ft/lbs out to 250 yards.

PS - I still have not heard back from the warden or his seargent about the smokeless. :roll:

I would go with a 300g Nosler PP in one of these sabots: HPH 12, 24, MMP or Harvester short black. I would shoot between 110 and 120g of BH... which ever gives the most accuracy. Good luck!

Back