trout, how do i catch these

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
For spinning gear, I've caught them in fast waters using small floatiing Rapalas or small spinners.  If you fly fish Muddler Minnows or large weighed fly Nymphs have worked for me.  
My father was a bait fisherman and always did VERY well using worms with a round weight added about 6-8 inches up from the hook.  The key is to use the proper weight so that the bait rolls along the bottom without getting hang-up.  Some guys I knew used Bait Walkers for the weight.

My trout fishing is similar to my hunting. I like old stuff. Bamboo rods, silk lines, dry flies tied with just natural materials.

Challenging and fun.

OldMtnMan said:
My trout fishing is similar to my hunting. I like old stuff. Bamboo rods, silk lines, dry flies tied with just natural materials.

Challenging and fun.
That's the same way Pete likes to care for himself, the old way. Corn cobs or leaves for wiping and pine needles for picking his teeth.   :geek:

Caught two Rainbow in the river by me on Bait yesterday. I gum everything anymore too.

Like using Wooly Worms every so often. Black and White Jigs work too.

oneshot

I use anything from gold panther martin's to spoons.  But my go-to lure is a gold kast master.  Something about the wobble that lure puts off makes the trout hit, and hit hard. 

N5ckejl.jpg

Gold beadhead Woolybuggers. Black or olive most using a floating line and a short 6' leader..

LongRifle said:
I use anything from gold panther martin's to spoons.  But my go-to lure is a gold kast master.  Something about the wobble that lure puts off makes the trout hit, and hit hard. 

N5ckejl.jpg
Nice rainbow :!:

Thanks!  Here's another caught on the same morning on a Kast Master also.  I forgot to add, I only fish with ultralight rod, reel and gear and a max of 4lb test line.  It's more challenging that way!

4RJDP6N.jpg

Another beauty LongRifle.  Great pic too.  :ttups:
I too enjoy ultra light gear!  When the fish biting are on the small size that's when I break out the ultras and battle them out :) 
With ultra light I've learned quickly the importance of tying a good, strong knot.

Marty said:
Another beauty LongRifle.  Grea pic too.  :ttups:
I too enjoy ultra light gear!  When the fish biting are on the small size that's when I break out the ultras and battle them out :) 
With ultra light I've learned quickly the importance of tying a good, strong knot.

Thanks Marty.  The gentleman that I was fishing with invited me to tag along and he is a fly-guide and photographer, so yeah, the pictures are way better than I could muster.  I love fishing ultra-light for just about everything.

Latest posts

Back