Truball Fang release

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
Finally made the switch from the trusty Truball stinger to the Truball Fang. I had the stinger for over 12 years and it still works great. Since my son has started shooting he took my wife's release and I took the opportunity to upgrade. The Fang is extremely light and comfortable. I have been using it in the stock form which is swept back trigger and lightest spring. I actually sent one flying prematurely when playing around using the upper bend of my finger. I plan on switching out triggers to the straight version to try that and also switching springs. I like the fact that travel and sensitivity are seperate adjustments. So far I really like the release.

So are you using the Fang or the Stinger? I have never used any truball releases except for the Boss X. Always been partial to the Scott releases.

Fang is what I have switched to, just giving background on the stinger. I have two friends that shoot Scott's and have tried them. I liked the trigger sensitivity but I didn't like having to close the jaws and set it. The fang, stinger and cyclone just needed to be clipped onto the D loop and your ready. Another feature of the fang I like is that I can tuck it away in my sleeve when not needed. I prefer to put my release on as soon as I'm ready to hit the trail. Even in the morning before the sun is up, it ensures I don't leave the truck without as a few of my friends have before. 
Making a release switch has been a tough decision, I had thought about changing before but couldn't justify the cost. I looked at the Truball short and sweet,assassin, and Scott Goose/Rhino.  Maybe if I changed more often I wouldn't be as attached.

I'll have to look into one of those. I havent shot my bow in so long now. I always used a finger release but due to my flinch " string slapped my arm so hard it actually busted a vein in my wrist!" so I just havent been to excited to shoot it lately.

FrontierGander said:
I'll have to look into one of those. I havent shot my bow in so long now. I always used a finger release but due to my flinch " string slapped my arm so hard it actually busted a vein in my wrist!" so I just havent been to excited to shoot it lately.

You need an arm guard and work on your form. Lol. If your shooting a compound I would recommend most definitely shooting with a release.

biddler2 said:
Fang is what I have switched to, just giving background on the stinger. I have two friends that shoot Scott's and have tried them. I liked the trigger sensitivity but I didn't like having to close the jaws and set it. The fang, stinger and cyclone just needed to be clipped onto the D loop and your ready. Another feature of the fang I like is that I can tuck it away in my sleeve when not needed. I prefer to put my release on as soon as I'm ready to hit the trail. Even in the morning before the sun is up, it ensures I don't leave the truck without as a few of my friends have before. 
Making a release switch has been a tough decision, I had thought about changing before but couldn't justify the cost. I looked at the Truball short and sweet,assassin, and Scott Goose/Rhino.  Maybe if I changed more often I wouldn't be as attached.

Actually it is probably best to not go changing releases all the time. I shot a Scott Wildcat for a few years and then something stripped out on it. I switched to a Sabertooth and absolutely love it. Before I got that though I tried one of those TruFire Hardcore Max releases and found that I didn't care for the hook style. It's all just personal preference when it comes down to it.

Trufire is one brand that I have never liked, I've tried a few over the years that friends and family have had. The Fang is my first hook and that was something that was making the decision difficult. I had tried a short and sweet about 9 years ago with the loop on it. I didn't like messing with the loop but felt attaching the hook to the D loop I was using wouldn't be that bad. I see pros and cons for caliper and hook and I think I will be able to adjust to the hook. Getting used to it now will help as I transition into the 3D and then hunting. By September I should be ready.

Back