twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on what you are trying to do with it. For instance the 1 in 24 will generally stablize longer bullets than the 1 in 28 will. But it's really hard to say which is more "accurate." While companies use 1 in 24 to 1 in 32, 1 in 28 is generally considered THE twist rate for .50cal saboted muzzleloader bullets and has been for years.

Chuck hit the nail on it's head. Twist does not determine a barrels accuracy. I have accurate 1 in 66 barrels,1 in 36, 1 in 32, 1 in 28 and 1 in 24. The slow twists like 1 in 66 stabilize short projectiles ( short in relation to diameter) such as round balls. Longer projectiles require faster twist rates.

The key is matching projectile to twist rate. Turn in 28 is the most prevalent twist rate in todays inlines.

Virtually all elongated projectiles in common use today will be stabilized in a 1 in 24 to 1 in 28 twist. Any barrel in this twist range has the potential for accuracy.

Many factors affect accuracy. Accuracy can only be determined by shooting. There is no magic number or formula that will guarantee an accurate barrel.

thanks for the reply ...i asked that question because i ordered a ROSSI .50 cal...s/steel with a 1-24 twist ...and 23" barrel ..i sold my TRADITION PRO with a 28" barrel ..the trigger was horrible ,the front was too heavy [out of balance] i started out with a rossi than a remington bolt ,than a tradition pursuit lt ,than a tradition pro and now back to rossi .also the rossi does not shoot power-belts well ...so i went back to the .260 gr. dead centers ..

Back