Ultracompact derringer with superimposed loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derringeer

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve been sketching on a small over/under derringer with the capacity of four shots. I’ve seen the superimposed concept on the forgotten weapons channel, and I thought it’s pretty neat. But I’m curious of what could go wrong.

Here’s a picture of a barrel and the loads https://imgur.com/FgzHsmQ
The second charge has a ”case” to support the bullet, to prevent compression of the second powder charge. I don’t know if that’s necessary? The old superposed weapons didn’t had it.

I will also be using a light (about 100 grains) load of buckshots (with about 20-30 grains of BP/pyrodex P to propell it) for the front charge which should keep the pressure down. And for the second load I will use a slightly overdimensioned pure lead roundball instead of a patched one. For extra sealing I’ll use some Blu Tack behind and thick paper infront, but maybe something else will work better?

Feel free to give some thoughts on this one.

Take out some good insurance first. I have a hard time calling anyone an idiot so I'll just say that to do this a guy has to be dumber than a box of rocks.

I have seen "superposed" loads before of the projectiles but never with propellant between them.

I have seen "superposed" loads before of the projectiles but never with propellant between them.
As mentioned earlier, it’s actually not a thing I came up with by myself, the superposed concept has been around basically since muzzleloaders has been around.

My idea with my gun was to overcome the flaws of a old design with some small new improvements.

I am intrigued by your sketches and fascinated by this imaginative concept.
I am curious as to how the various engineering challenges might be solved.
And I hope I'm nowhere near that firing range when it gets tested.

I am intrigued by your sketches and fascinated by this imaginative concept.
I am curious as to how the various engineering challenges might be solved.
And I hope I'm nowhere near that firing range when it gets tested.
Truth. Maybe it would fulfill the true definition of a 'hand cannon'.

There is somewhat of a "similar" design being sold now. Check out the Thunderstruck S333 package. You can see one on page 76 of the April 2020 Guns magazine.

Back