unloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i was wondering if anybody had a good way to unload a knight mountaineer without getting the powder all over. seems to grt caught in bp threads and bolt housing. almost easier to shoot out and swab barrel. thought somebody here might have a good idea.

Leave it loaded unless your season is over. As long as it wasn't shot or got wet. I have two White Super 91's currently loaded right now, cleaned prior to shooting bucks last weekend.

Find some tubing. You can wrap it with masking tape to make a snug fit. Hold the rifle muzzle down when you remove the breech plug. Push/screw in the tubing. You can now dump the powder out. I’ve done it several times. It’s not perfect but a lot less mess.

I use a tube that came with a Rem ML700 or Ruger 77/50. it is plastic and threaded for 11/16 -20. I remove the BP and screw in the tube, collect unburnt powder that way. Can't waste BH209 these days.

I have unloaded a few times. I very much prefer to just shoot it off. Of course this is when the hunt is over & no reason to leave it charged.

I only unload muzzleloaders using loose powder by shooting them.

One of the reasons why I picked up a Wolf V2 on sale and set it up for pellets is the ease of removing the owners without firing, and thus no cleaning.

Sometimes my schedule will allow to grab a quick half day of hunting. If the hunt ends without a shot opportunity, I drop the breech plug, drop out the pellets and pop the sabot/bullet out.

Pellets become fertilizer, sabot in the trash and save the bullet. Screw the plug back in and it’s ready yo be loaded for the next hunt.

You can use compressed air to discharge. I suggest placing the ramrod in and putting a jacket on the rod to slow it down. A ball or bullet by itself can really get some speed with just air. If you do it a few times, you won't need the rod....but the first time will be the learning curve.

I only unload muzzleloaders using loose powder by shooting them.

One of the reasons why I picked up a Wolf V2 on sale and set it up for pellets is the ease of removing the owners without firing, and thus no cleaning.

Sometimes my schedule will allow to grab a quick half day of hunting. If the hunt ends without a shot opportunity, I drop the breech plug, drop out the pellets and pop the sabot/bullet out.

Pellets become fertilizer, sabot in the trash and save the bullet. Screw the plug back in and it’s ready yo be loaded for the next hunt.
I hunt a couple hours a day, several days a week, every week during the season if I can. Load on a clean dry bore, no need to unload each time. I've done this with BH209, and Pyrodex. Never an issue, done it that way for close to 20yrs.

I had an elk at 20 yards last year listen to me bust a cap. The rifle didn't fire. When I pushed out the mud in the powder space, I understood why. I was using 777 and had the gun capped and muzzle taped whenever it was outside. I suppose the rides in the truck or punishing snow storms were too much for it to hold back, because there was a solid .25 oz of runny liquid in my powder.

Now I don't let them sit all week charged if they've been wet or experienced temp swings.

I hunt a couple hours a day, several days a week, every week during the season if I can. Load on a clean dry bore, no need to unload each time. I've done this with BH209, and Pyrodex. Never an issue, done it that way for close to 20yrs.
Pyrodex is really the only powder i would have worried about. If its a clean barrel i wouldnt worry about it unloading til the seasons over, if you dont fire it. Ive left T7 and bh209 in all season long with zero rust from either. Keep it dry and there should be no worries.

No issues with pyrodex either - loaded on a clean barrel. In fact, many years ago one time I mistakenly left my MK-85 loaded for a whole year with pyrodex. I didn't realize it was still loaded from the prior season until opening day when I planned to load it and head out to hunt.
:bang:

Thankfully, it fired perfectly at a nice 9pt that I got, as if I just loaded it that morning. When I cleaned it, the bore was perfect.

That said, while it worked out well...I don't recommend that with any powder. LOL

I do the same with BH209.

I prefer to not leave a ML loaded and sitting for more than one or two days (even though I know plenty of hunters do), so being able to easily and cheaply unload a pellet load led rifle can be useful for me.

Latest posts

Back