Unwanted Guests

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerlessbob

Reaction score
One of my jobs for our hunting club is spraying wasps in any of our shooting houses. The ”hornet guest house” shown below in this shooting house came as quite a surprise yesterday. !
Two of our members worked on the interior and exterior only a month ago. I sprayed nearly a full can of wasp/hornet spray on the nest and hope to be able to knock it loose when I go back in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• 5250AEC0-F3D4-41FD-B9FE-C6141C285DBA.jpeg
    5250AEC0-F3D4-41FD-B9FE-C6141C285DBA.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 53
Several years ago I got crop damage permits on a new farm when I got there I found a blind on a trailer so I figured this will be perfect well the wasps weren't to happy me being there especially when I knocked their home down when I opened the door I am sure you know the rest of the story I got stung numerous times Went to the hardware story and bought spray bombs End of story

Wow that is a huge nest!! I hate them damn things! Working on our deer lease years ago running a walk behind brush hog. I mowed into a massive ground hive. Wife lost track plucking stingers out of me but it was close to 100.

Dido. I was out to my Trump Tower a few weeks ago and there was a hornets nest. Spray was difficult to find but I finally did get some. Hosed the nest and left it be a few days. Then went back and knocked it down and sprayed it again. I was out there yesterday and they were rebuilding in another location but still on my tower. Hosed them again.

If they were bees I would have a bee guy come and get them. Hornets not so much.

Being a New Englander, I had no experience with fire ants.
When we moved to Oklahoma, I put my climber stand in our barn for storage in the off season.
During my first deer season here, I was up in the stand one morning.
When I decided to climb down later in the morning, I happened to notice about a million ants crawling around the stand. Somehow they got inside the hollow metal tubing and made a nest. Holy crap!
Took some time but I finally got rid of all of them.
I keep my treestand in the house now.

Here are some of the ones I killed on my bug bomb attempt. I don’t know what kind they are but they’re pretty big.

Attachments

• EA7D85B3-17CF-4666-967C-A8BDE9871ECD.jpeg
    EA7D85B3-17CF-4666-967C-A8BDE9871ECD.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 53
Father-in-Law liked to use hornet's nests for helping to decorate one of their rooms. His method of collecting them was to use a plastic bag at night, enclosing the nest and breaking it away at the top from whatever it was attached to. He would then spray Raid into the bag and quickly enclose it, not opening it back up for three days. I thought he was a bit nuts because he was allergic to bee stings, but using his method, he never got stung.

The large hornets' nests we find here in Missouri are bald faced hornets - these are the nests you see displayed in various places. Before cold weather hits, they go underground until spring. Once the nest is abandoned, it quickly falls apart.

Here's a bad thing about them - the first attacker releases a scent on the victim which attracts other hornets to continue the attack. They are not "wasps" that build the exposed nests on your shed beams (which I've used for wadding) although inside the large paper nests you'll find similar honey-comb larval housing. The wasps' nests contain actual larvae. Warm 'em up without soaking in poison and you'll see.

Friend bought a '54 Caddy limo that'd been in a shed for years. Got it started and headed for home about an hour's drive........uh, nope.

Plenty of YouTubes of eradicating them and then pulling / digging the nests out. One guy poured much molten aluminum down the hole and when cooled had a crazy sculpture.

Using a small garden sprayer, we spray the blinds with Permethrin that you can get concentrate at your feed & seed/garden store. It seems to deter the paper wasps of all kinds from building. Disclaimer: follow all labeled directions for any pesticide!!!!

I would call those hornets.

Our jellow jackets live in the ground.

Hornet stings are very painfull.

Yellow jackets attack in volume.

BugIn

Latest posts

Back