Updated design - trail markers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Too cold out so I tinker a little.  I updated my trail markers so they can be seen during the day as well as night.  The original design was almost impossible to find during the day without tying a ribbon to them. The reflective tape I used is white Oralite (formerly Reflexite) V82  which is a 10 year prismatic tape.  It is supposed to be one of the brightest tapes in the industry. You can see these markers as far as your light can hit them.  Just like little LED light bulbs  :>).

The first picture is my original design and second one my new and improved version:

Trail%20markers_zpshgiv5oud.jpg

DSCN1478_zpsoedesb5x.jpg

I use the bright eye thumbtacks a lot but I'm glad they don't show up well in the daytime because other hunters follow them to the stands I hunt from. I can find my way in and out without markers in daylight.
I have had at least 3 hunters show up at my stand before daylight and duck their heads and wave "sorry" towards me when my headlight blinded them. They follow them because they are lazy or poor hunters who can't scout well enough to place their own stands.

Of course these are all on public land. If you hunt private land, yours are just the ticket.

Looks good to me! I normally carry orange marking tape in my bag along with my gps. Out on public lands I hate to mark my trail because even I follow them when I see them :twisted:

Neat design, we have been using clothes pins with reflective tape for many years. Nice work!

Thanks.  I originally just had the decoy cord loops but then found that the badge clips worked a lot easier.  The wind can't blow them to the ground.  Also, the ribbon can be shortened or removed depending on what the user desires.  I'll be trying out the new ones in Missouri during the turkey hunting season.

I hunt public land so the first two trail markers I put out don't have ribbon attached.  That way another hunter is unlikely (not impossible) to see them.

Your designs certainly have their applications 'Joe.  I carry one each of your early versions ( the one in the center... and another with the orange reflection tape which I like ) in my hunting backpack.  Awesome reflections in the dark.  :)

Latest posts

Back