VA ML season going well!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bomtek44

Reaction score
Opening day was Saturday, November 1. It was a warm day. Saw ten doe in the AM, but they all went by at trot due to someone crossing the ridge below me.

That afternoon, I moved further up the side of the ridge to see if I could intercept as they headed off the steeper mountain. 35 minutes before dark I heard the shuffling leaves. They were angling off the steeper mountain, but would cross the ridge below me. I saw the first of four and followed her in the scope to a decent opening. I then held on the opening and waited for a larger doe. The third in line was a good one. As her shoulder entered the opening I held on the front portion and sent a 200 grain Shockwave on its 100 yard journey. She ran clumsily for 50 yards and I heard her crash. A very good 105 pound doe, field dressed.

Monday, Nov. 3 was day two. The morning was punctuated by an immature buck I let walk away. The stillness was shattered ten minutes later when two pit bulls chased three does past my tree. No more deer for the morning. That afternoon, after finding the wrong wind direction at two locations, I settled for option three, a field of recently planted rye, about three inches tall. I expected the deer to work up through two bunches of pines to the field but saw nothing. At 5:15 pm I low crawled up the hill to the field edge and slowly stood up behind a couple of scrub pines. There were ten does feeding about 100 yards away. I could barely see the back of one more deer feeding in a dip in the field. Light was fading due to the cloud cover. The deer disappeared for a while and then I could see the top of its back again. It slowly worked its way higher in the dip and raised its head.....to my amazement, it was adorned with a good heavy mahogany rack. I lasered the buck at 161 yards. As I looked through the scope with my SS Disc Elite on my hand on top of a fence post, I could see grass in the scope. I needed to let him walk further to ensure the bullet path would clear the rye 30 yards in front of me. He finally presented a good broadside shot at 127 yards.....and the 200 Shockwave was on its way. I heard a WHOP, and the mighty stallion galloped out of the smoke, racing up the field, untouched.....for sixty yards. Then his hips dipped and he turned around and raced back the way he came, until he somersaulted to a stop.

As the pink and orange clouds ended the day, I walked across the rye to admire my pretty eight pointer, that dressed 140 pounds.

Once again, the SS Elite, 200 Shockwave, and 110 grains of Triple 7, has done its job.

Opening day doe

DSC01377.jpg

day 2 buck

DSC01392.jpg

I didn't have my digital camera with me when I shot the buck, so I apologize for the after field dressing and hauling picture.

Thanks,

bomtek44

some nice va deer i too am a va hunter having a nice early ml season i have only layed down a nice doe but that was after a few days of letting alot of deer pass. Til yesterday after counting 15 cross about 400 yrd, 2 came to about thirty yrds. couldn't let both pass bye. no pics.

Back