Warne

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggilliam

Reaction score
I have been unable to get acceptable groups with my Henry Ball #140. After numerous trips to the range and trying every combination of bullet, sabot, primer, powders and powder weight known to man, I knew something else had to be the problem. I checked to make sure the fromt base screw was not bottoming out. I decided it had to be the scope and decided to change it out(Nikon Monarch Gold 3X10X56). I had the same type scope on my T/C Encore and swapped the two. After reassembling the Warne QD rings and tightening all the ring screws, I noticed the recoil lug bar on the bottom of one of the rings had slight movement, the other one was tight. When mounted and locking the quick release everything seems solid, but I continue to wonder if the slightly loose recol lug is the problem. I plan to call Warne on Monday and get their opinion, but thought someone in the forum may have some experience with Warne rings and know if this is a problem.

If it is bent, yes-- they should be tight.

To get scope issues set aside, just shoot it with irons. If your iron sight groups outshoot your scopes groups-- the scope / bases / rings are highly suspect.

Talked to the service rep at Warne today. He said the loose recoil lug was not a problem. Just loosen the screws at the bottom of the ring that had the loose lug. tap the ring forward which would lock everything in place, and re-tighten. This would snug the lug against the back of the ring and the front of the base. Sure seemed to fit tight. A day at the range later this week should prove if he is right.

Well, they may have seemed tight but it did not help much, maybe a little. I came home and changed the Warne QD for Leupold standard bases and rings. I have now changed the scope, rings and bases, made sure the front base screw is not bottoming out. Thorough cleaning of barrell, breach plug, vent liner. Checked and torqued(25 pounds) the screws.
I have shot 100+ rounds, so I would think the barrell is broken in.
My barrel is very tight and fairly difficult to load, but don't know if that would affect accuracy. May try the HPH24 sabot.
Hope to get back to the range and try it again. I only have a week before season opens.

ggilliam said:
Well, they may have seemed tight but it did not help much, maybe a little. I came home and changed the Warne QD for Leupold standard bases and rings. I have now changed the scope, rings and bases, made sure the front base screw is not bottoming out. Thorough cleaning of barrell, breach plug, vent liner. Checked and torqued(25 pounds) the screws.
I have shot 100+ rounds, so I would think the barrell is broken in.
My barrel is very tight and fairly difficult to load, but don't know if that would affect accuracy. May try the HPH24 sabot.
Hope to get back to the range and try it again. I only have a week before season opens.

I would try the new formulation harvester sabots.

Much better luck at the range today. About 2" group at 100 yds. Not great, but at least there is hope. I will try some harvester sabots and let you know how they work out.

Unbelievable!!!
I shot a total of 10 shots. Almost 1 holers at 100 yards.
My last 3 shot group at 180 yards was bullseye just under 1 1/2" center to center. It's about time!!!
I LOVE MY HENRY BALL!! #140

ggilliam said:
Unbelievable!!!
I shot a total of 10 shots. Almost 1 holers at 100 yards.
My last 3 shot group at 180 yards was bullseye just under 1 1/2" center to center. It's about time!!!
I LOVE MY HENRY BALL!! #140

Glad you got things going! Just in time for hunting too! :)

Sorry I forgot the load: 43.5 gr IMR 4759, 250 SST with supplied sabot(looks like a HPH12), Federal 209A. No chrony, so I don't know what velocity this load is.

Latest posts

Back