Was not impressed with the Jim Shockey Gold FFG

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick1

Reaction score
I went to the range yesterday to shoot the Optima again with the Powerbelt .295grain aerotips but this time I wanted to try the JSG (loose powder).

I was not impressed what so ever!

That was the dirties powder I had ever used and probably the last time. I had to clean the barrel at least every 5 shots.
On top of all that the chunks or chips in the powder were so big that I could not get it to pour out of my flask into the measure tube.

Bottom target was @ 33yards & Top two targets were @ 50 yards
misc0110.jpg

You would think these were good shots and in reality they are but what I had to go through to get that is not worth my time later.

For the complete review please click the link.
http://whitetailwoods.blogspot.com/2010/05/test-and-product-review-in-one.html

With JSG you need a big heavy bullet for it to shoot nice and tight. My Optima loves 90-100gr JSG 2f with the 338gr platinum.

How were you seating the bullet? JSG-APP has a special loading process, Lean your upper body weight all the way into the ramrod/range rod until you feel it compress, and then that will be good.

FrontierGander said:
With JSG you need a big heavy bullet for it to shoot nice and tight. My Optima loves 90-100gr JSG 2f with the 338gr platinum.

How were you seating the bullet? JSG-APP has a special loading process, Lean your upper body weight all the way into the ramrod/range rod until you feel it compress, and then that will be good.
The only difference I see from your comment is I was using a slightly lower grain bullet to you otherwise I did or used the same as you.

What my real problem is how dirty that stuff is, I couldn't even get it to come out of my powder flask into the measure tube,

Yeah its a very chunky powder. When i shoot it, i use a powder scoop after i pour it into a small glass bowl, i do the same with blackhorn. Its impossible to find a flask that will throw JSG cleanly. You can get a funnel spout and install that onto the can and use that easily.

Dirty in what way? It cleans up very easy as you will find out when you go to clean.

Dirty in the fact that I have never had to clean the bore after every 5 or 6 shots.

:scratch:

That was my question also :!: I've been using JSG for close to a year now an I never had any trouble with having to clean the barrel because the powder was dirty. I've shot as many as 8 to 10, 295 grains powerbelts with out having to clean the barrel or remove the breech plug. It cleans up with water. I find Pyrodex and T7 to be some what questionable.
I did cut down my loads and I got alot better results.
90vs100gr002.jpg

90vs100gr003.jpg

First pic is 3 shots with 90 grains. 2nd pic as you can see the 100 grain loads were not tight at all. I went back to 90 and shot a great group.
Sorry you didn't like the powder. My ACCURA'S love it :!: :cheers: :!: :cheers:

hawgslayer, I do need to do more shooting with it but what I am trying to get at was my first experience with it was not impressive.

See what happens the next time I use it.

Rick,

When you say you had to clean the barrel do you mean clean the barrel or just spit swab it? What I do is after the 2nd or 3rd shot I put a patch in my mouth and I chew on it. After the 5th shot I start to spit swab the barrel. I swab it and then turn the patch over and do it again. I've never had a problem. I have shot close to 12 shots by spit swabing this way and still seated that powerbelt without a problem. I do check the breech plug after 10 shots or so not so much for any crud but I 'm checking on how tight it's getting.

Good luck.

I have not done the spit swab thing but it does sound like it would work. Thanks for the tip and next time I shoot the JSG I will try that for sure.

By the way hawg, VERY impressive group you have there in that first target :!:

I can see you've fine-tuned your setup with 90 grains.

:cheers:

Amen Marty :!: :!: :!: That reduction in powder made my day :cheers: :!: :cheers: :!: .

Back