weaver style bases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellerja

Reaction score
I would like to ask what to do when there's no windage adjustment? I have these on a new rifle I bought. I changed the scope to a better one. When I took the new Chinese junk off it I checked the internal crosshair to see how far out it was. It was off half the scope diameter. I rest the scope I replaced it with and bench bore sighted it.it was off 1 foot in 30 yds. was able to dial it over but it took a lot of turns to do so. I have since placed an order for Leopold one piece mount and rings to replace it with. But if I don't need them I will cancel the order.

Sounds to me like you had better have the mounting holes checked for proper alingment. Espacially if this is on your new 700 SPS which you seem to be having problems with. I have heard of folks getting guns where the mounting holes are off center or worst are at an angle to the bore causing them to shoot to the extreme left or right.

I have ordered a one piece Leopold base and rings. I am hoping with the windage adjustment on the base I can fix this problem.

I only use 1 piece picatinny rails these days on guns. They are super strong and when properly installed leave little to chance. The vast majority of Rem 700 guns need to have the base bedded to match the contour of the receiver. If you wonder if the holes line up, take a screw and put in the rear most hole and tie a string around the screw. Pull the other end tight at the muzzle, the holes should fall under the string. Make sure your scope is centered in its adjustment and you should be good to go. Typically after a properly bedded mount I have to move windage less than 2 MOA. Usually within 1 MOA.

I have read about base bedding bases before how is this done? As far as the mounts I have on this rifle they are cheap dovetail mounts that come with the rifle I am planning on checking there center dimensions when I remove the scope again.

You can see a good video of it by clicking here.

Tip #1 - do not buy a combo gun with scope. The scope is typically crap, same goes for the mounts and rings
Tip #2 - injection molded stocks are junk. We say they are made from recycled ice cube trays. They are way too flexible for serious work.
Tip #3 - guns are expensive these days. You have a decent platform with the R700. Get a good stock, and optics platform, and you will have a quality shooter on your hands.

Latest posts

Back