Weekend project...Optima getting a face lift.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris W.

Reaction score
After a few years of being hauled through the woods and such, the Optima V2 is getting a face lift. My Optima is one of the last years that they made the black synthetic with blue steel. Thought I'd change things up a bit and add some weather resistance. Everything has been cleaned, prepped and is ready to spray. Stay tuned for the results.

Attachments

• 20200607_145825.jpg
    20200607_145825.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 33
interested to see how it turns out have a couple muzzleloaders wouldnt mind doing this to.
I looked into cerakote but really couldn't justify the cost with this rifle. After researching Duracoat, I decided this was the way to go. The prepping and cleaning is the bulk of the work as it is with any coating project.
It sprayed on nice and even. Put the recommended three coats on the barrel, frame and trigger guard. I'm really liking the color. Should darken up a touch more as it fully cures and be a nice contrast with the black synthetic. I'll post some before and after pics once it cures and I get the rifle put back together. Only time will tell how it holds up but the online reviews have been good.

Attachments

• 20200607_160941.jpg
    20200607_160941.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200607_145451.jpg
    20200607_145451.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 61
Well, got up this morning and got the Optima put back together. The Duracoat directions state things can be reassembled and lightly used after drying overnight. I decided to let things cure for a little longer...approx 36 hrs. If anyone has ever dropped the trigger group out of their Optima and then tried to put it back together, you know it's a PITA. Even with the rough handling associated with reassembly, the new Duracoat finish on the frame made it through without a nick or scratch. It appears to be pretty tough. It won't be fully cured for several more days but so far, I'm impressed and I'm liking the color. I also swapped the standard buttstock for a thumbhole stock. Before and after pics below.

Attachments

• 20200609_111746.jpg
    20200609_111746.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200609_100807.jpg
    20200609_100807.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 94
I like it alot better then when it was blued.
I like this presentation better to. The picture makes it look lighter in color than what it really is. As it fully cures over the next several days, it should darken just a touch more. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

I've duracoated several guns. It wears like iron. My latest was just completed, a smokeless ML , 45 built on a Savage short action.
Gotta get some pics posted...lol

Hey Chris, I am contemplating Duracoating my old Optima. How has your finish held up? Would you do it again?
It's held up really well on the Optima. There's a tiny spot or two up around the muzzle that chipped off but the rest of the barrel and the receiver still look good. I'd definitely do it again with any firearm that needed a face lift. Actually contemplating doing my Turkey gun with it after the season is over. It's a standard blued steel barreled Mosseberg. Thinking a coyote tan or a dark earth would look good and blend in a little better.

It's held up really well on the Optima. There's a tiny spot or two up around the muzzle that chipped off but the rest of the barrel and the receiver still look good. I'd definitely do it again with any firearm that needed a face lift. Actually contemplating doing my Turkey gun with it after the season is over. It's a standard blued steel barreled Mosseberg. Thinking a coyote tan or a dark earth would look good and blend in a little better.
Thanks Chris, good to know! Curious, did you do the full blasting with aluminum oxide or go the Scotch-brite pad method for metal prep?

Thanks Chris, good to know! Curious, did you do the full blasting with aluminum oxide or go the Scotch-brite pad method for metal prep?
Scotch-Brite method to rough it up and cleaned/decreased really well.

Back