Welcome to Michigan

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Welcome to Michigan where the best job you can find is the worst job you've ever had.

Anyone else find themselves working for child managers who have no idea what FIFO means? Or how to implement a kanban system?

In California I was on the fast road to a 6 figure salary now I work for dominos not corporate but a corporate store. Recently I was deemed worthy of the promotion to assistant manager to the tune of 15 an hour. My manager went to different stores to hunt for product due to on going supply chain issues with this publicly traded global company. He made 3 trips because he kept forgetting what we were out of. This after I presented him with a cheat sheet of all ingredients in store. Apparently writing things down on a scrap of paper is foreign to him as well. Sadly this was not the child manager but a full size a-dult equiped with big boy pants.

How the mighty fallen. Welcome to Michigan.

Ford just laid off several thousand employees in Michigan. Rumors are another 1-2000 going to be let go between Thanksgiving and Xmas.

There are some morons out there. While I was over on Lake Michigan fishing last month, I went into a place that sells smoked fish/meats. Their internet was down so their register was down. I bought 10 hunters sticks that were 1.50 apiece. The young lady (around 18) behind the counter panicked had to get a pencil and a pad of paper and attempted to do long math to get a total. After doing her "gazintas", she then had to ask another employee to check her math. Even after all this, she had to ask me if the total was right. It scares me.

There are some morons out there. While I was over on Lake Michigan fishing last month, I went into a place that sells smoked fish/meats. Their internet was down so their register was down. I bought 10 hunters sticks that were 1.50 apiece. The young lady (around 18) behind the counter panicked had to get a pencil and a pad of paper and attempted to do long math to get a total. After doing her "gazintas", she then had to ask another employee to check her math. Even after all this, she had to ask me if the total was right. It scares me.
wth

What part of Michigan, UP? or somewhere below the Mac? And were you making enough in California to afford to stay there? I hope you are not bad mouthing Michigan if you plan to live there.

Not unique to Michigan...more of a generation thing. NOBODY can figure money/cost/change...Millenials are bad but Gen Z is worse/hopeless. If your bill is $16.09 ( a burger, a fry, and a drink these days) and at the window you give them a $20 and then a $1 and a dime cuz you don't want a bunch of singles and a handful of change...they see the $20 and put that into the register/computer and then freeze...more often than not they say "you gave me too much..." and I have to explain how much I get back ... and usually to the 'manager' as well...even then, they look at me like I'm trying to rob the place. Most can't deal in real cash money at all....just plastic.
Even if they do give you change they do not know how to properly count it back....

When I was in 3rd and 4rth grade the farm would send my friend and I to do retail at the Detroit Market. They would set us up with a table and veggies and we did the retail business. We had the time of our life interacting with those people. And I believe they enjoyed us. They would play tricks on us to try to mess us up. Not to steal but for fun. We got really good at watching and counting money. When someone gives you a bill you set it aside until the transaction is complete. Or else you would hear "I gave you a $20.00 not a $10.00". Then you present them with the bill they gave you and everyone would laugh. They would count or tell a story with numbers while you counted back change. Anything they could do to mess us up. I looked forward to those days when I was a little guy.

My favorite was selling cantaloupe or watermelon. First they would ask how much. Id say $1.00. They would ask me how I know the melons were any good. I would reply I guarantee it. They asked how I could do that. Well, give me a dollar and Ill cut it open and we will taste it. They smiled. How about you cut a sample out and if its good Ill give you a dollar. So I would cut a sample and they would taste it. They replied that is good. But now it has a hole in it so its not worth a dollar. I replied now that I know its that good I need to charge $1.50. It went that way all day long. I love those people.

Never blame the place you moved to. Blame yourself for moving there if you didn't do your due diligence before moving there.
Never lived in Michigan, just vacationed there. Seems to be a wonderful place.
Wife and I drove across the entire UP one day expecting to see lots of wildlife. Ended up only seeing one whitetail doe the entire day. LOL

Last edited:
This problem is pretty much nationwide. The young people of today are so devoted to their devices that they are crippled without them. When the Zombie Apocalypse finally happens, they will be the first to die. They have no survival skills.
I am SO ready for a zombie apocalypse.

Ford just laid off several thousand employees in Michigan. Rumors are another 1-2000 going to be let go between Thanksgiving and Xmas.
Typical for the auto industries. Usually, you're either working OT throughout the thanksgiving to new year holiday season, or you're laid off it seems.

Never blame the place you moved to. Blame yourself for moving there if you didn't do your due diligence before moving there.
Never lived in Michigan, just vacationed there. Seems to be a wonderful place.
Wife and I drove across the entire UP one day expecting to see lots of wildlife. Ended up only seeing one whitetail doe the entire day. LOL
Changing zip codes never works cuz everywhere you go --- there you are

Typical for the auto industries. Usually, you're either working OT throughout the thanksgiving to new year holiday season, or you're laid off it seems.
These were all salaried employee layoffs, and are permanent headcount reductions.

It’s true in Hawaii too. They usually don’t get it, unless I explain it to them and tell them how much change to give me.

It’s true in Hawaii too. They usually don’t get it, unless I explain it to them and tell them how much change to give me.
Dont they get trained to punch it into the cash register? If they put in what you gave them, the register will tell them how much change to give. Its built that way so dummies can give the correct change. We’re all born with all the answers but we learn how dumb we truly are as we get older(wiser).

Dont they get trained to punch it into the cash register? If they put in what you gave them, the register will tell them how much change to give. Its built that way so dummies can give the correct change. We’re all born with all the answers but we learn how dumb we truly are as we get older(wiser).
Right. But they still have to know how many pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters along with any denomination of bills adds up to what the till says.

I'd be fine with not allowing any computer or cell phone use until after kids graduate from high school and only then when they pass a written competency test that shows they know how to write using cursive and can add, subtract, multiply and divide using a pencil and paper. I live with the shadow of Mayo Clinic and all its fine doctors and some of their kids, after being given every electronic toy imaginable, are dumber than mud stumps.

Right. But they still have to know how many pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters along with any denomination of bills adds up to what the till says.

I'd be fine with not allowing any computer or cell phone use until after kids graduate from high school and only then when they pass a written competency test that shows they know how to write using cursive and can add, subtract, multiply and divide using a pencil and paper. I live with the shadow of Mayo Clinic and all its fine doctors and some of their kids, after being given every electronic toy imaginable, are dumber than mud stumps.
I believe they no longer teach kids to write in cursive In schools. So besides not knowing arithmetic they can no longer write. Just print and use computers and calculators.

Back