went for a walk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black powder

Reaction score
we have about 4 ft. of snow and this afternoon went to my favorite deer yard. one of the females had a lot of damage from coyotes on her hind quarter ..

my granddaughter feeding a little 8 pointer [never saw him on blackpowder season]

we fed them carrotes and do they ever like apples ,found one winter kill,but still have 2 more months of winter up here ..

The winters sure been rough on the deer around here . The numbers are so low fish and game should close deer season down , But they won't , way to much $$$$$$ to bet had selling tags . I have a feeder in my front yard full of deer pellets and corn . I also put peaces of apple on the ground . doing anything i can to help the deer . I see around 1/4 of the deer than i saw even last year and that was very few . Very sad !!

5alarm435 said:
Looks like you would be able to take that buck during spear or garrotte season.

No kidding! Those are some tame deer. I would almost feel bad about shooting something that has no fear of me.

deer

SW, I was thinking the same thing. I am not allowed ot shoot the deeer ni the field behind the house, until I saw a monster buck. My wife just looked at my face after seeing it and said good luck. I didn't get him, he is still running.

5alarm435 said:
Looks like you would be able to take that buck during spear or garrotte season.

no way ...we are in a deep frezze right now ,snow is high and deer have calmed down .only at the end of january is it possible to approach the deer like that . when hunting season is in full swing don't expect the same scene ,you can walk all day and see no game ,they have all left the same spot and gone into the forest ..but every year they come back to the very same place from the middle of dec. to the end of march ...

i have also noticed that the bucks and older females are easy to feed except the yearlings they are very shy and almost impossible to approach .

Great pictures!!

Do you typically see bucks with antlers in Feb around your parts? Up here most of them drop during and around ML season - 1st weeks of December. Several guys I know brought in their bucks and antlers separately this season and one person shot the buck with 2 antlers on its head and when he found it after the death run it only had 1. He never found the other but it was only a forkhorn and there was snow on the ground.

Great pictures... I too was kind of surprised to see that buck there with the horns this time of year. Ours have dropped their horns long ago. The deer look in pretty good shape actually. They hips are not showing through their hide, like some years around here.

I have been feeding the birds as there is nothing for them. Black Oil sunflower seeds... and today I noticed a very small deer track. Also I throw my old lettuce, carrot ends, etc on a composte pile, as something has been over there. I see rabbit tracks, and squirrel, but there was something heavy, as it sunk in the snow, but them its tracks melted shut. I would guess a deer.

We were told, corn, apples, carrots, pumpkins, squash, but never give them hay. It seems if they are no used to it, like around here, it can hurt them. Dehydrates them I believe they said. I don't see how, but I am not throwing out any hay anyway. Too expensive.

I can't believe those are wild deer. I feed the deer in my back yard 20 yds from the house all winter long and if they see me or a member of my family moving around through the window they will spook,let alone even try too open the door. Last week I had 21 in the yard one afternoon and 2 were young bucks still with their racks. I think it matters on the nutrition there getting as far as how long they keep there racks. Had a buck last year that kept his rack till March.

saw 4 bucks and could only get near to one [he still had his antlers] the other 3 bucks had lost they're antlers and wanted nothing to do with me..

omegasmoke do you have a dog around the house ??????

Yes I have 2 dogs that live indoors and they never go in the backyard where the deer feed.

omegasmoke said:
Yes I have 2 dogs that live indoors and they never go in the backyard where the deer feed.

my hunting partner was with me last week he also has a dog .strange but true he could not get near the deer ,they moved out of his way very fast.
they can smell the dogs on ur clothes

WE have a place where the elk get fed for the winter here in the Cache Valley area called Hardware ranch , you can almost walk right up to them. But the rest of the year when they leave the ranch they are as wild as ever . Sometimes animals know when and where they are safe . Check out the slay ride going right down the middle of this elk herd .

Good luck finding one of these big bulls come hunting season !!

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hardwareranch/

well u got a nice herd of elk ...something i have never hunted ..animals are strange creatures .i still can't figure out why i can't get close to the fawns [they are about 6 months old] and i tried and tried with no luck ..

A big 4x4 mule deer was eating apple slices out of a feeder i my front yard last night . come spring he will be 4,000 higher on a mountain above my home .This guy still had his antlers too . ??? I think i will try putting my trail camera up and see if i can get a photo.

during the drought we had here 2 years ago in nc i fed some deer all summer. between 6 to 10 would be 40 feet off my deck in the backyard. i started doing it to photgraph them. they were at first spooked by my dog. after a about a month he would walk among them. during the day they would feed as long as i stayed put on the deck but for some reason they would wander around me in the dark while i was walking back there.

Thanks for the pics! Hard to believe that you got THAT CLOSE to them! :lol:

Back