Went shooting with a South African Couple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
The sister and brother-in-law of a South African student of mine just left after a one week stay with us here in Golden. As typical Afrikaners (Dutch and French derived people), they were very involved with shooting and hunting. I took them to an outdoor range to shoot a Lancaster style flintlock, and a 10" barrel, percussion dueling pistol. I also brought along a modern handgun (CZ75B compact).
12-22-10.jpg

12-22-12.jpg

They had a great time, with ear to ear grins from shooting the flintlock. They felt as though they were sharing the experience of the Vortrekkers, the people who moved by wagon train from Cape Town to areas north and east in the early 1800s. They used their flintlocks to fight off attacking Zulu Warriors.
We saw no Zulus, so we just fired at paper targets.
The Afrikaners, and particularly these young people, are hardworking, ethical and moral. They make wonderful guests and shooting companions. I was sad to see them leave (at 4:15 am) this morning.
Ron

Good eye, Bob. The photo was taken right after I bought it. It had been test fired, then thoroughly cleaned.
Ron

I am fortunate to have been able to collect some nice pieces. I have to admit to being a unrepentant collector and pack rat.
My penchant for collecting has to be tempered now that I am retired - unless I can convince my wife to continue working and support me in the way I would like to become accustomed. :D
Ron

Ron has all the cool stuff and besides that Ron is really cool.

Latest posts

Back