Western Australia Hunting ...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score

Hey mate what do you???

Read: Hunting in Western Australia is limited to taking feral and pest animals on private property with the landowner’s permission. Only a current “open” firearms license is required to hunt on private property. There is no hunting permit or fee applicable. The following animals are some of the feral species that can be regularly taken in Western Australia: Rabbits, hares, foxes, pigs, wild dogs, goats, camels, donkeys, wild horse and wild cattle.

Now a camel would be interesting, KC said they taste like chicken !!! :study:   Think he read that somewhere ... or was it goat ??? :scratch:

conner said:

Hey mate what do you???

Read: Hunting in Western Australia is limited to taking feral and pest animals on private property with the landowner’s permission. Only a current “open” firearms license is required to hunt on private property. There is no hunting permit or fee applicable. The following animals are some of the feral species that can be regularly taken in Western Australia: Rabbits, hares, foxes, pigs, wild dogs, goats, camels, donkeys, wild horse and wild cattle.

Now a camel would be interesting, KC said they taste like chicken !!! :study:   Think he read that somewhere ... or was it goat ??? :scratch:

Hey Conner,

Interesting topic for sure!

Now I personally hunt with my .303 because I haven't get my muzzleloaders on an open licence yet.

Personally I only hunt animals that i'm going to put in the freezer suck as roo or rabbit, unless i see a feral (fox, cat or dog) and then i just kill the damn thing on the spot and leave it to rot.

The big game like water buffalo, camel, wild boar and Sambar deer you only get up north or in the Northern Territory. 

But the hard part is getting permission to hunt on private property. Most land owners get twitchy about letting anyone they don't know on their land because they get so many trespassers and you're not allowed to hunt on public land at all!

We had similar problems with landowners in northern Colorado near the Wyoming border. Found by going to the ranch house and talking to either or both the foreman of the ranch and the property owner and offering them a token got us on their property. In one case this old boy really liked Coors beer and his wife liked Dr. Pepper, so every time I hunted his 23 mile square property we would stop by their house with their favorite beverage and a box of donuts. Others liked something stronger like Macallan Double Cask 12 or Australian Whisky from Tasmania (you and your friends probably know these drinks).

conner said:
We had similar problems with landowners in northern Colorado near the Wyoming border. Found by going to the ranch house and talking to either or both the foreman of the ranch and the property owner and offering them a token got us on their property. In one case this old boy really liked Coors beer and his wife liked Dr. Pepper, so every time I hunted his 23 mile square property we would stop by their house with their favorite beverage and a box of donuts. Others liked something stronger like Macallan Double Cask 12 or Australian Whisky from Tasmania (you and your friends probably know these drinks).
Yes mate, you've got to look after the bloke who owns the land! ;)

The problem is over here that just to get to the farm house on some of these properties could take a couple of days of driving. Its very much who you know in this game....

Although there is one huge property that has started selling property letters, which then allows you to actually get your rifle on an open licence!

As you can imagine the police found out and lost their minds, they took the owners of the property to court. However the police got absolutely reamed by the judge for over reaching their authority and for making legislation up to suit themselves. :lol:

It was a good day.

Interesting... 

If I got one of these letters, could I qualify for an 'open license' in Australia as a foreign national? 
(I'm not coming down, but I am curious.)

I'm glad the police were shown the error of their ways on this issue. Interesting story. 

And, can we mail you BP parts and gear from here without running afoul of the Australian law? 
Not rifles, I assume. Accessories.

Kentucky Colonel said:
Interesting... 

If I got one of these letters, could I qualify for an 'open license' in Australia as a foreign national? 
(I'm not coming down, but I am curious.)

I'm glad the police were shown the error of their ways on this issue. Interesting story. 

And, can we mail you BP parts and gear from here without running afoul of the Australian law? 
Not rifles, I assume. Accessories.
I'm not sure but i'd guess not because you're a foreigner.... I must confess to applying logic and common sense to that one!

Yeah we have little wins like that here and there but it was good to see police licensing get kicked in the nuts.  :lol:

Yes mate you can but between the exchange rate and the shipping costs i'd have to sell a kidney..... I'm trying to located a mainspring vice for example but the total cost is appalling. Apparently you can send complete rifles, there's a process that you have to go through which can be laborious but allegedly isn't that hard.

Interesting. 

I have found that 'logic' and law are often not the same thing. So, one asks. Cheers. 

pLuOvs.jpg

Looks like the basic Mainspring Vise on Track of the Wolf's web site is about 16 US dollars. This converts to about 21 AUS dollars. The closest estimate I can get for shipping to AUS is an additional 28 US dollars. This is 36 AUS dollars. All told, this 16 dollar vise would cost you approx. 57 AUS dollars?  Lordy, Lordy.  

1oFu9d.jpg

The Deluxe, English version would cost approx. 70 AUS dollars including shipping. I mean, the shipping is the big cost. May as well splurge, eh? (All this is ball park)

Seems like being a pen pal might be out of the question. :lol:

If you know someone traveling, it is small and easy to carry. Maybe they could get it to you that way?

That's the problem mate, the exchange rate makes a cheap bit of gear expensive and the shipping then makes the total cost ridiculous.....

That's why my friends from your country moved to another country. Not sure where their base camp would be now, both are on ships that haul crude oil (6 weeks on 6 weeks off - that's when I see them here in the states). I hear the same stories from them mate. First met them in the Gun Library at Cabelas a few years ago. They had a writer from a sporting magazine with them from Spain, he had similar stories about gun ownership and Spain's issues.

We are pretty damn lucky we still have our guns, good lesson guys - JOIN THE NRA and help them fight the bastards. :ttups:

Kentucky Colonel said:
Interesting. 

Looks like the basic Mainspring Vise on Track of the Wolf's web site is about 16 US dollars. This converts to about 21 AUS dollars. The closest estimate I can get for shipping to AUS is an additional 28 US dollars. This is 36 AUS dollars. All told, this 16 dollar vise would cost you approx. 57 AUS dollars?  Lordy, Lordy.  

The Deluxe, English version would cost approx. 70 AUS dollars including shipping. I mean, the shipping is the big cost. May as well splurge, eh? (All this is ball park)
Mike I sold some modern items (tools) to a fellow in your country on eBay, the shipping was almost as much as the items he purchased. I wrote him telling him about the charges and having tried three different sources for the best price. He said they expected those kind of charges, send the tools. WOW that blew me away. $$$$

Yeah sometimes you just have to choke on the shipping to get what you need but damn it hurts....

Mike in Oz said:
Wish like hell we had the NRA over here.... :/
Start one. Raise $$$ to pay a lawyer and lobbyist and when your kids are grandparents, it may be legal again.

If your politicians are like ours, they will always take a payment under the table and then you have them by the balls. It's sort of like blackmail but it works.  :Shh:

patocazador said:
If your politicians are like ours, they will always take a payment under the table and then you have them by the balls. It's sort of like blackmail but it works.  :Shh:
So what's the problem, they'll take the money and they will. Then things go your way, have yet to be turned down with green $$$ in my hand. Local and state politicians are easy, don't know about higher up - probably just more money under the table .... You'll need deep pockets mate. :cools:  :Shh:

Interesting idea but i have zero idea where to start or where anyone would find those sort of pro firearm funds.

It would make more sense if the NRA started to branch out to different countries.

Just my 2c....

That would be a good idea to bring up to NRA, they are always bugging us for additional funds. Turn about is fair play, lets start a writing campaign asking why they don't go to other countries that are having gun issues.

I've tried writing and asking that but they never respond.

Maybe if Americans asked the question....

From what I see and read the NRA isn't doing much in New York State to get the safe act repealed. They constantly ask for more money and even want you to include them in your will. They still want your money even after you are gone. I belong to the NRA and support them but I would like to see where they are helping us New Yorkers.

There are several groups in Florida that fight for gun rights in our state. One of them is affiliated with the NRA. Marion Hammer, past president of the NRA got her start here as the head of a gun group. She spear-headed the concealed carry law in Fla. That was one of the first state laws allowing it. It helped break the ice so that other state organizations went the same route to get their right to carry.

If NY doesn't have a strong pro-gun organization that is constantly working to restore gun rights to the citizens of the state, the NRA won't step in. They pick and choose their fights and usually choose to help those that look like they can win.
Of course, if they win, the NRA takes the credit.  :roll:

I've been a life member of the NRA since 1975. Right after that, Harlon Carter and his groups "threw the bums out" at the annual convention. Before that they just were a figure head organization that didn't do much. They cried a lot about the gun control act of 1968 but never did much to try to stop it. In fact, the NRA actually supported parts of the GCA of '68. Carter actually was on the staff of the NRA at the time and started organizing other staff members to change the stance of the NRA. When the head guys got wind of it, they fired over 70 people who were for a tougher stance against controls. That's when Carter and his group took over after organizing a "coup" in '77.

Latest posts

Back