What a quandry.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Go fishing or go to the gun club.

Our nice governor has indicated that during this lock down we are supposed to get exercise, get groceries and gas, get everything we'd normally do including hunting and fishing....just practice this social distancing. The weather is supposed to de decent tomorrow and Tuesday. If I fish it will be on the Mississippi and right now its 5-6 feet over summer pool and expected to get to 14 feet over summer pool this week later. I'm thinking fishing tomorrow before it gets any worse. I'll be inside a marina on docks so safety isn't a big IF or BUT. I know crappies love a rising water but to this extent and it being fairly cold water I may want to go there first then shoot later in the week. Ma and I have been good at staying home and there's only so much yard work that was needed from last fall and its done now.

On the other hand, I want to get the pistol and one of the less used rifles on the bench at the gun club. Badly. Its not that I need practice...its that I really WANT to practice. But weighing in on this whole fiasco I think I'll fish tomorrow and shoot on Wednesday so Ma and I can walk on Tuesday and get some of her orneriness trod off. She doesn't take to this self inflicted caging well.

Damn I hate when I have so much I want to do outside and the weatherman tells me I have just a few days to get it done.

I hear ya MrTom, we've had a ton of rain here over the last month. So much I want to do outside but it's been so wet. Plus it's not really safe to actually go anywhere either.
My wife and I did manage to take the boat up to the lake for a few hours the other day. Not many people around, or fish for that matter, they must be social distancing too!

Our nice governor has indicated that during this lock down we are supposed to get exercise, get groceries and gas, get everything we'd normally do including hunting and fishing....just practice this social distancing. The weather is supposed to de decent tomorrow and Tuesday. If I fish it will be on the Mississippi and right now its 5-6 feet over summer pool and expected to get to 14 feet over summer pool this week later. I'm thinking fishing tomorrow before it gets any worse. I'll be inside a marina on docks so safety isn't a big IF or BUT. I know crappies love a rising water but to this extent and it being fairly cold water I may want to go there first then shoot later in the week. Ma and I have been good at staying home and there's only so much yard work that was needed from last fall and its done now.

On the other hand, I want to get the pistol and one of the less used rifles on the bench at the gun club. Badly. Its not that I need practice...its that I really WANT to practice. But weighing in on this whole fiasco I think I'll fish tomorrow and shoot on Wednesday so Ma and I can walk on Tuesday and get some of her orneriness trod off. She doesn't take to this self inflicted caging well.

Damn I hate when I have so much I want to do outside and the weatherman tells me I have just a few days to get it done.
I'm going to try and go to the range tomorrow with my son. If it's swamped I'm just gonna turn around and go home. The shooting benches aren't 6' apart.
KIMG0099.JPG

Last edited:

Did both last week. Two trips to the range and one to the pond; both are about a mile from the house. Working on groups with a .50 Sidekick and got 15 bluegills that we had for supper Saturday night.

That’s a PITA. I hate loading up and driving someplace to shoot, only to discover it’s closed.....

I really need to find someone in Maryland with some farm land.

Last edited:
Well, that's the schnits Cent. Ma did a number on anything I had in mind for yesterday but I did scratch that fishing itch this morning and it was a great way to see a sunrise. No fish but then I don't smell like one either. Supposed to rain tomorrow but I'm going again to a different lake. Raingear works well enough to fish.

Back